2001 BYAFA Kitted news

11th December 2001 - Sweet revenge for England over Scotland

ENGLAND enjoyed sweet revenge over traditional rival Scotland with a 14-0 victory to lift the Sky Sports NFL Sunday Trophy at Saffron Lane Stadium in Leicester, erasing the memory of their loss to the Scots a year ago.

The under 19-year-olds battled for the annual trophy in a clash that will be televised during future regular season coverage of the 2001 NFL season on Sky Sports. A youthful Scotland side struggled to prize open an England defense that held a sizeable weight and height advantage to shut out the visitors from north of the border.

In last year’s meeting in Glasgow Scotland stormed to a 44-2 victory, but there was to be no free-scoring repeat as both sides struggled to hold onto the ball in crisp conditions and turnovers regularly halted offensive drives.

Team Europe candidate Jordan Falconer, who plays junior ball for East Kilbride Pirates intercepted a tipped pass early on to put the Scots in commanding field position. But as quickly as Scotland mounted an offensive threat, the English defense, led by MVP Paolo Bandini of the Warwick University Wolves, came up with a turnover of its own.

MVPs Lennox Johnson (left) and Paulo Bandini
Photo courtesy of www.nfleurope.com

All the scoring came in the second quarter as a ground attack led by the elusive rushing of London Blitz running back and offensive MVPLennox Johnson led England to within striking distance of the endzone. London Os passer Luke Smith capped his final international appearance at junior level with a quarterback keeper from a yard out to open the scoring and Pete Rogers of Tees Valley added the extra point.

"This is the perfect way to end my junior career," said Smith, who will turn 20 in the summer. "This makes up for last year when I missed the game up in Glasgow because I was having my wisdom teeth removed. I know the other lads came back from that loss upset at the score, so I’m pleased for them that we won."

Scotland was haunted by another turnover and England took full advantage as the dominant Johnson carried the ball to the 4-yard mark. A holding penalty pushed England back five yards, but gave Smith the space to drop back and pick out Os wide receiver Graham Warby in the corner of the endzone with a lofted pass for a second touchdown. Rogers was again true with the PAT.

Scotland might have produced an instant comeback before halftime, but two promising drives stalled short of the endzone. Quarterback Robbie Paulin of the Moray Firth Dolphins fumbled and Os defensive lineman Christopher Wavenbwei recovered, then on fourth down a Paulin pass aimed for Team Europe prospect wide receiver Mark Squires was batted down by London Blitz defensive back Tim Tang.

"I’m delighted for the lads who have worked long and hard for this win," said England head coach Simon Newnham. "Last year we endured a long and delayed train journey to Scotland and were demoralised by a heavy defeat. Now they can erase the memory of that loss and enjoy victory."

'The victorious England team'
Photo courtesy of www.nfleurope.com

Former Scottish Claymores wide receiver Scott Couper coached the Scotland wideouts and said: "I’m proud of those kids. They played their hearts out and although there was a definite mismatch size wise, they learned a lot and they’ll bounce back. Just as England was the younger and less experienced team last year, we are this time, but that means in 2002 we’ll have a wiser and very hungry team looking to recapture the trophy."

Chairman of the British American Football Association Gary Marshall presented the Sky Sports NFL Sunday Trophy to MVPs Johnson and Bandini and had words of encouragement for players on both sides.

"What we saw here today is that there is a promising future for the game in this country," he said. "Two young teams fought hard and proudly represented their country and these players will carry the game forward and hopefully continue to enjoy playing for many more years.

"This might have been a game of two teams on opposite sides of the ball, but when they all come together in the form of Great Britain next summer and take on the rest of Europe, I can see there will be a great combination of talent."

Great Britain join five other nations to contest the 2002 European Junior Championship next year and will include coaches and players from both England and Scotland in an attempt to wrestle the championship from the grip of reigning champion Germany.

Report and photos courtesy of www.nfleurope.com

3rd December 2001 - Wessex Stallions win in France

The Wessex Stallions, an amalgamation of PA Knights and Southern Sundevils Youth players, travelled to France at the weekend to take on the Paris Flash Youth team. This was an opportunity for the players to play 11-man football, instead of the BYAFA format of the 9-man game. The Stallions won the night-time game by a score of 22-6.

9th November 2001 - BYAFA Youth Kitted Final

The Sundevils ran out easy winners in the most one sided final to date. The Hammerheads fumbled the opening kick off away and from there on in, despite a truly brave and gutsy performance, they were punished for virtually every mistake.

A 48yd run by Sundevils MVP Shaun Smith set up the south coast outfit at the Handforth 14, where Dale Powell jinxed in to open the scoring within the first two minutes. A play action QB keeper allowed Baynham to stroll in for the extra two. Forced to punt on their opening drive, the Handforth snap sailed over the punter’s head before he managed to recover it on his own ten yard line. Baynham rolled out right and hit Coultas, standing alone in the endzone to increase the score. Smith added to his tally by snaring the extra two point pass to leave the Sundevils ahead by 16 – 0. With the league’s best defense stifling the Hammerheads, the Sundevils next possession started on their own 49 yard line. It finished two plays later when Smith scampered in off left tackle from 49 yards out. Baynham, who used the shovel pass most effectively all afternoon, once again rolled right and dunked the ball to Coultas for the extra two to leave the new boys in a 24 – 0 hole. The Cheshire based side found themselves in further difficulties when a double reverse resulted in a fumble, which Jenkins snatched up and stumbled in to score from around five yards out. Darren Skeels slipped in off left tackle to add the extra two and end the quarter with the Sundevils in a commanding 32 – 0 lead.

The second quarter began where the first ended with the Sundevils ground game proving far too strong and it was only a matter of time before Skeels bounced off tackles from four yards out to increase the lead. Another Baynham roll out and shovel pass to McIlroy stretched the score to 40 – 0. From there on in the Hammerheads, lead by Head Coach Stephen Rigby, seemed to shelve their nerves and came into the game. Their defense stiffened while their offense had their next two drives snuffed out by interceptions after beginning to move the ball. As the half closed Skeels once again found space off left tackle from four yards out, with Irving claiming the extra two point catch to leave the Sundevils with an overwhelming 48 – 0 advantage.

Handforth continued to claw their way back into the game, gradually matching the Sundevils during the third period and were unlucky to fall a further score behind. Coultas held onto a Baynham 40-yard bomb to set up another Skeels score. For once the extra two was unsuccessful and the margin remained 54 – 0 as the third quarter came to a close.

Handforth Hammerheads on offense
Photo courtesy of Nigel Payne via BYAFA

The fourth period saw McIlroy firstly pick of a wayward Hennessy pass and then finish off the Sundevils possession by trotting in from nine yards out. With the extra two again being added the score moved onto 62 – 0. The rest of the quarter belonged to the spirited Handforth side. Facing a fourth down on their own 14-yard line they faked a punt and wideout Aspinall pulled off a remarkable flying grab. Five plays later he showed great concentration to hold onto a Hennessy 30-yard pass to keep the drive alive. Southern had to show why they were the nation’s no. 1 ranked defense to stifle a consolation score on their own nine-yard line as the game drew to a close.

While the scoreline ensured this was never going to be a classic final, the display both sides put up was remarkable. The Sundevils were awesome with their ground game and swarming defense. They ran out worthy and very well respected champions. The Hammerheads won many friends on the day, and gained respect from all, including their opponents and victorious Head Coach Graham Thorpe. They were cheerful, gracious in the face of an overwhelming defeat, and conducted themselves with such dignity and class. If they continue to learn the lessons of this season they will be back again.

Report courtesy of BYAFA

9th November 2001 - BYAFA semi-final results

Northern semi-final: Handforth Hammerheads 8-6 Dundee Storm
Southern semi-final: Southern Sundevils 20-18 London O's

16th October 2001 - BYAFA Week 8 results

Birmingham Bulls 0 - 1 Handforth Hammerheads  (Game Awarded) 
Lancashire Wolverines 20 - 8 Harrogate Hawks 
London Blitz 6 - 30 Southern Sundevils 
London O's 0 - 1 Norwich Devils  (Game Awarded) 
Essex Spartans 1 - 0 London Capitals  (Game Awarded) 
Glasgow Tigers 1 - 0 Clyde Valley Hawks  (Game Awarded)

Results courtesy of BYAFA

10th October 2001 - BYAFA Week 7 results

Moray Firth Dolphins 0 - 32 Glasgow Tigers (Mercy rule enforced)
Clyde Valley Hawks 0 - 28 Dundee Storm
Handforth Hammerheads 8 - 14 Lancashire Wolverines
Harrogate Hawks 14 - 0 Birmingham Bulls
Southern Sundevils16 - 0 P.A. Knights Youth 
London Blitz 34 - 12 Bristol Aztecs
London O's 1 - 0 Essex (game awarded)

Dundee Storm 28 - 0 Clyde Valley Hawks

Dundee's opening drive ended with the home side scoring, a pass from QB Ben Hann to Fraser Thomson from 6 yards out. The 2 PAT was converted with a pass to RB Ryan Crichton. Despite opportunities to score, penalties and determined play by the visiting Hawks held the score at 8 - 0 in the 1st quarter.

The 2nd quarter saw some fine play from both sides, but Dundee increased their lead, when back- up QB Seth Thompson connected with WR Dave Webster from 55 yards leaving the Storm with a 14 –0 advantage at the half.

The 3rd quarter was a defensive battle, with numerous fumbles and interceptions, meaning neither team could effectively move the ball

The 4th quarter saw the visiting team concede two more touchdowns. Firstly a 19 yard run from RB Craig Blacklaw, stretched the lead to 24 - 0. An 18-yard pass from QB Seth Thompson to rookie wideout Ryan Milne padded the advantage with Dave Webster snaring the two points after pass from Thompson to complete the scoring.

This victory gives the Storm the Scottish Divisional title and ensures a match up with either Handforth Hammerheads or the Lancashire Wolverines on the 28th October.

Harrogate Hawks 14 v Birmingham Bulls 0.

This match between a makeshift Bulls and an emerging Hawks team proved to be a highly entertaining and competitive affair. From the start it looked as if the Hawks had rediscovered their formidable ground game, marching to the Bulls 9-yard line before resolute Bulls defense closed the door. It was late in the first quarter, when the Bulls muffed a punt return that the Hawks found the end zone. Brandon Strauser took a hand off and broke right, bounced of tacklers and reversed the width of the field to dive in close to the left had touch line. Jackson with a counter off left tackle added the extra two to leave the Hawks with an 8 – 0 lead as the quarter expired.

The second quarter saw defenses very much on top but with the Hawks having the lions share of the territorial advantage. The half concluded with a defiant Bulls, eight play goal line stand with what looked like a sure fire touchdown pass being batted away at the last second.

While most would have expected the Birmingham squad to tire in the third quarter, they kept the ball for all but three plays although penalties proved to be costly.

The fourth saw the Midland side coming on stronger, marching the ball down field from their own 33 to the Hawks 9 yard line on a series of bruising running plays. It appeared to be only a matter of time before they went in. On the next play, the ball popped out of a melee and landed in the grateful arms of Tom Cuddy who dashed to the sideline and then blazed the full 91 yards to make the game safe for the Harrogate outfit. A holding call negated the two points after attempt. Both sides should be congratulated on producing a game that was clean, fair and a credit to their respective coaches.

Handforth Hammerheads 8 v Lancashire Wolverines 14

Handforth were dealt their first loss of the season by cross-town rivals Lancashire Wolverines.

Lancashire dominated proceedings early on when fullback Matt Williams scored his fourth TD of the year, a 21-yard effort. Williams also added the 2-point conversion to give the Wolverines an 8-0 lead. Handforth went 3 and out on their first possession and Lancashire were again driving when defensive tackle Sam Rice recovered a fumble to get the Hammerheads off the hook. The score remained at 8-0 for the remainder of the half as both teams played some excellent defensive football.

The Wolverines further extender their lead in the third quarter when Jon Rooney blocked a Handforth punt that he recovered. Williams swept in for a four yard TD, his second of the day. The 2-point conversion was no good.

The Hammerheads finally got on the scoreboard in the fourth quarter when halfback James Lynch followed some excellent blocking in from four yards out. QB Ric Hennessy scored the 2-point conversion taking the score to 14-8. Handforth’s defense rose to the task and forced the Wolverines to punt with just over 2 minutes remaining. A 30-yard run by WR Aleck Aspinall moved the ball into Lancashire territory to set Wolverine nerves jangling. However Handforth were unable to capitalise and Mark Chatwood made a game-saving tackle on a fourth down reverse to seal the win.

A victory next week over Harrogate Hawks may see the Wolverines win a play-off place as they are now tied at the top of the Northern Conference with Handforth. The game was a fiercely fought encounter, with both teams playing some excellent defense.

Southern Sundevils 16 v PA Knights 0.

The conditions were a major factor in this match up at a rain soaked Lordshill. The Sundevils struggled to hold the ball all day, giving up turnovers in the Knights Red zone on four occasions, as the Guilford based team held the leagues most potent offence. However, the Sundevils defensive unit held firm, as they gained not only their third shutout of the campaign, but more importantly the South West Conference title.

Touchdowns from Shaun Smith and a safety from Tom Jenkins meant the battling Knights were always in with a chance until QB Ted Baynham broke free to seal the victory with a 41 yard TD run.

Next week, the Suns travel to the London Blitz, knowing that they are a victory, and another defensive performance away from the all-important home field advantage in the play-off decider.

 Moray Firth Dolphins 0 v Glasgow Tigers 32

Although the Dolphins failed to trouble the scoreboard in this rematch, this was a far better offensive performance and only resolute and determined defense from the Glasgow outfit kept them at bay.

As in previous weeks injuries played a major role with the Dolphins struggling to find 9 fit players towards the end of a game that took almost 4 hours to play. The Tigers using mainly a running game controlled the tempo from beginning to end. MVP for the Glasgow Tigers went to Steve Wilson for some outstanding tackling on defense, while Brian Mackain claimed the Dolphins MVP for playing some amazing iron man football as middle linebacker and running back.

Results and reports courtesy of BYAFA

1st October 2001 - BYAFA Week 6 results

Dundee Storm 8-12 Glasgow Tigers
Clyde Valley Hawks 8-14 Moray Firth Dolphins
Harrogate Hawks 0-12 Lancashire Wolverines
PA Knights 28-14 London Blitz
Essex Spartans 0-32 Norwich Devils
Bristol Aztecs 0-1 Southern Sundevils (game awarded)
London O's 1-0 London Capitals (game awarded)


Dundee and Glasgow met up at Dawson Park for what was to be a top of the table clash.

The game started at a frantic pace with both sides showing why they are the frontrunners in the BYAFA Scottish Conference. Dundee were first on the scoreboard when QB Ben Han spied an opening for him to run in the first score of the day with running back Craig Blacklaw added the two point conversion.

Injuries and defences then dominated the game, with the score remaining the same until late in the second quarter when Tigers running back, Graham Clee, ran in to reduce the deficit to 8-6 at the half whistle.

Dundee, who had been hit by significant injuries in the first half, had some reorganising to do and brought some of there younger backup players in to the game.

Again the second half was hindered with injuries to the Dundee team and they were soon to be struggling for fit personnel. Glasgow however continued to take the game to Dundee and had the Storm pinned back in there own half for most of the quarter, but the score was to remain 8-6 going into the fourth.

Dundee saw there entire offensive and defensive lines forced out with injuries and there youngsters could hold out no longer, it was inevitable that Glasgow would be adding points. Another touchdown from RB Graham Clee gave Glasgow the lead for the first time in the game.

The clock then ran out with Dundee only left with nine fit players and Glasgow missing a chance to reduce a significant Dundee points difference.


In a game which saw both teams put together many well executed offensive drives and both defenses stepping up to make good stops, it was the Dolphins who opened the scoring with a toss play to tailback Harley Davidson. QB Robbie Paulin ran in the two-point conversion. The Dolphins kept this 8 points lead right up until the 4th quarter, when Clyde Valley made a late comeback that saw the Hawks offense gaining possession on the Dolphin 10 yard line. Two quarterback sneaks from Gary Orr, first to score the TD and then to add the two-point conversion, sent the game into overtime. The Dolphins won the toss and elected to receive, after a concerted drive Harley Davidson broke free, and with some good blocking, won the game for the Dolphins.

MVP for the Hawks was Gary Orr and Harley Davidson for the Dolphins.

Harrogate Hawks 0 Lancashire Wolverines 12

On a dismal day in Yorkshire the Wolverines extended their winning streak to three, putting them half a game behind cross-town rivals the Handforth Hammerheads, who they face next week.

The story of the day was Lancashire’s defense, which has shutout its last two opponents and only allowed the Hawks four first downs all game. Middle Linebacker Matt Williams led the team in tackles, while Captain Nathan Carroll came up with his second sack in as many games.

Lancashire’s offense drew first blood, after an interception by veteran Cornerback Ian Nicholson led to Williams crashing over from 4 yards out. The Hawks intercepted the ensuing two-point conversion, but Wolverines star rookie Sam Fogg chased the Hawks player 98 yards to make the tackle before he could score.

The second and third quarters were dominated by defense. Both the Wolverines and the Hawks struggled to move the ball on the muddy field, the highlight being a blocked punt by the Wolverines’ Kristian Laurikeitis. Lancashire put the game out of the Hawks’ reach with time ticking down as rookie Alex Dunn took a sweep into the end zone.

"It’s now a two dog fight," said Wolverines Captain Mark Chatwood. "The game next week against Handforth will determine our whole season."

25th September 2001 - BYAFA Week 5 results

Harrogate Hawks 0-32 Handforth Hammerheads (mercy rule enforced)
Lancashire Wolverines 1-0 Birmingham Bulls (game awarded)
PA Knights 48-20 Bristol Aztecs
Southern Sundevils 38-6 London Blitz
Norwich Devils 1-0 London Capitals (game awarded)
London O's 32-0 Essex Spartans
Dundee Storm 38-6 Moray Firth Dolphins (mercy rule enforced)

Harrogate Hawks 0 - Handforth Hammerheads 32 ( mercy rule enforced )

Harrogate played their inaugural league fixture against fellow newcomers the   Hammerheads. Handforth opened the scoring with a 4 yard blast from halfback   James Lynch. The PAT was missed leaving the score at 6-0. Harrogate dodged a   bullet shortly after, when Handforth had a punt return for a TD called back on a   holding penalty.

The second quarter saw Hammerheads QB Ric Hennessy extend the visitors lead with a 10 yard TD run. The PAT again failed leaving the score at 12-0. Dominant  defense from the Hammerheads saw CB Stewart Hay pick off an errant pass and he  looked to have scored but was ruled out at the one. Headcoach Stephen Rigby called an end-around to Hay but the Hawks defense reacted well and appeared to  have the play stopped. However, quick thinking from QB Hennessy saw the QB  keep the ball and he went in untouched for his second TD of the day. Russell Tomlinson kicked the PAT ( worth 2 points in BYAFA) taking the score to 20-0.  Mental errors and some solid defense from Harrogate kept the scores deadlocked til Hennessy scored his 3rd TD of the day, this time a fine 26 yard scamper to paydirt. This wrapped up the scoring for the first half as the PAT  was missed, leaving the halftime score at 26-0.

Any hopes of a Harrogate comeback were quickly thwarted at the start of the 3rd quarter when fullback Simon Millichip rumbled in from 5 yards  out. The PAT was no good ,making the score 32-0. Despite a 32 point deficit ,  the Hawks played with class and tenacity and refused to roll over. The  Hammerheads rounded out the scoring for the 3rd quarter when tight  end Ford Wilding caught a pass from Hennessy. WR Aleck Aspinall caught the 2  point conversion.

Some excellent defense from both teams dominated the 4th quarter until James Lynch capped a fine performance with his second TD of the day, this time running in from 5 yards out. Lynch earned MVP honours for an excellent personal performance amassing 92 yards rushing, 8 tackles and 3 ½ sacks.  The Hammerheads were strong in all facets of the game racking up over 300 yards of total offense and sacking the Hawks QB 9 times and picking him off 4 INTs

Southern Sundevils 38 London Blitz 6

The Southern Sundevils made it 3-0 at Southampton, as they defeated an undermanned London Blitz team. Despite conceding thier first score of the year, the Sundevils notched up 26 first quarter points to put the result out of London's reach. The Blitz defensive unit put up the toughest challenge so far, but their o' could not make any real impression against an impressive Sundevil defensive front. The Secondary continued its superb start to the 2001 championship campaign, with London failing to connect all day.

The Blitz worked hard, and defended well against a more experienced Sundevil team. With Damon Kirby now at the helm, the Blitz could pose more problems next time out. The scoreboard did not reflect the game, but the result was always on the cards. Next week sees the Sundevils travel to the Aztecs. The Blitz will go head-to-head with the PA Knights in the battle for second place.

Dundee Storm 38 Moray Firth Dolphins 6 (mercy rule enforced)

The Storm returned to Dundee after three successive away games to face the Dolphins at Dawson park. The Dolphins who are improving every game started with the ball but couldn't gain any yardage against the determined Dundee defence. Dundee soon made yardage through big running plays and opened the scoring when young QB Ben Han completed his first touchdown pass to running back Nicky Wigley. Han added the 2 point conversion. Dundee then dominated the game for some time with Fraser Thomson running in for his first score of the day and Dave Webster adding the two point conversion. Before The Dolphins had settled the Dundee defence recovered a fumbled pass. Running back Ryan Crighton getting himself on the score sheet and increase the lead to 22-0.

The Dolphins began to get a bit more settled into the game and were beginning to trouble Dundee when suddenly an 80 yd run from Dundee's Craig Blacklaw increased the lead further. Fraser Thompson added the two point conversion. The Storm went in to the half time break with a commanding 30-0 lead. The half time talk from Coach Dave Paulin seemed to give the Dolphins inspiration and they came out a more determined outfit in the second half,a 55 yard run from Scott McCain was to open the Dolphins account and give them some hope in the game.

Dundee then got  the ball and Lars Halford recovered a fumble in the Dolphins end zone to widen the lead,Nick Wigley then added the two point conversion.The Dolphins defence was beginning to hold Dundee and the only other score was a QB scramble from the Storms Dave Webster. The third quarter was a defensive battle with much of the action in the middle of the field although Dundee did manage to add rushing touchdowns from Craig Blacklaw(2) and Fraser Thomson. The fourth quarter saw the Dolphins open up and try to regain some pride and this led to Dundee getting more chances to score.Craig Blacklaw again ran in a big score with Claus Halford adding the two point conversion and get his first score for Dundee. MVP Blacklaw was not finished yet and again ran from deep to increase the lead. QB Ben Han then scrambling in to get his second score of the day.

The Dolphins although suffering large defeat can take consolation from the way their young team played and must be encouraged by the determination they showed right up till the final whistle. Dundee now  welcome Glasgow Tigers to Dundee next week for a top of the table clash.

10th September 2001 - BYAFA Kitted Week 4 results

Glasgow Tigers 26-0 Moray Firth Dolphins
Clyde Valley Hawks 0-28 Dundee Storm

Clyde Valley Hawks 0 Dundee Storm 28

A very depleted Hawks side were beaten 28 - 0 on Sunday at Crownpoint Stadium, Glasgow. Hawks took first possession of the ball, however they had to punt the ball. The Storm made the most of their possession and scored on a 60 yard run from Craig Blacklaw -the extra points were not successful making the score 6-0 to the Storm.. A defensive struggle set in and the quarter ended with no further scoring. The second quarter was much the same as the first for Hawks, who were unable to gain yards against a strong Storm defense. The Hawks defense faired a little better with Colin McFadyen sacking Dundees QB twice. However Dundee soon added to their scoring with a TD run from Nicky Wiggly and a two point conversion from Fraser Thomson.

Craig Blacklaw returned the kick off at the start of the third quarter all the way back for a Dundee touchdown - the 2 point conversion was again good extending the lead to 22-0. Another sack on the Storm QB by John Devoy along with an interception from Gary Orr, failed to ignite Hawks offence. Dundee then sealed the win, Nicky Wiggly scoring his second rushing TD of the day. The extra points were unsuccessful taking the score to 28 - 0. The fourth quarter was a defensive struggle with the Hawks failing to capitalise on another Orr interception and the game ended with the score 28 - 0.

The Storm ran out convincing winners but the young Hawks side showed that they may well be a side for the future. 

Scores and report courtesy of BYAFA

3rd September 2001 - BYAFA Kitted Week 3 results

Birmingham Bulls 0-32 Lancashire Wolverines 
PA Knights 0-32 Southern Sundevils 
Norwich Devils 18-20 London O's 
Moray Firth Dolphins 16-20 Clyde Valley Hawks 
Dundee Storm 28-12 Glasgow Tigers

Dundee Storm 28 Glasgow Tigers 12 

Sunday saw long time flag rivals The Tigers and Storm face each other in there first ever competitive youth kitted fixture. 
Glasgow got off to a strong start and were soon on the scoreboard with a Craig Wilson pass to TE Alastair Choat. Glasgow continued to dominate the game but strong defensive play from the visitors kept the score to 6-0 at the end of the first quarter. Dundee worked hard in the second quarter and continued pressure led to Glasgow conceeding a two point safety.The Storm replied with a TD from Dave Webster,Craig Blacklaw adding the 2 point conversion to give Dundee a slender 10-6 lead at the end of the half.

An injury to QB Saf Ahmed just before half time led to some reshuffling in the Dundee line up and rookie QB Seth Thompson was given the nod. Excellent defense from both teams kept the scores deadlocked, Dundee finally breaking the deadlock with Thomson passing deep to TE Derek Donaldson who thrilled the crowd with a one handed catch to get himself on the score sheet.Niki Wigley then ran in the two point conversion.A mistake from the Tigers then handed Dundee a two point safety to increase the lead to 20-6. The Tigers clawed their way back into the game and reduced the score  when QB Craig Wilson found David Thomson for a long touchdown taking the score to 20-12. Dundee then secured the win with a  score from Dave Webster and a two point conversion from Ryan Crighton

Southern Sundevils 32 PA Knights 0 ('Mercy Rule' rule enforced). 

Sundevils secured a second consecutive shutout win this year as Shaun Smith leads the rushing attack with 15 carries for 165 yards, whilst QB Mcmillan 
completed 5 of his 7 passes to complete the scoring. Despite missing several key players, Sundevils go 2-0 going into the week three clash against 
London Blitz. PA Knights played better than the scoreline may suggest and fought hard in all four quarters. Coach Reeves hand was forced, as the Knights fielded a 
rookie QB and were forced to run the ball.

Lancashire Wolverines - 32 Birmingham Bulls - 0 

Lancashire improved their record to 1-1 last Sunday as they shut out the Birmingham Bulls for the first time in the history of this rivalry, which dates back to 1996. 

The game started slowly in the drizzle of Moor Lane Sports Ground, and neither team put points on the board in the first quarter.  However the second quarter saw the Wolverines score 20 unanswered points. 

Quarterback Simon Purcell lead the team down field and hooked up with rookie receiver Sam Fogg for six points.  Tailback Alex Dunn cruised into the end zone thanks to excellent blocking for an 8-0 lead.  The defense then took over, shutting down the Bulls ground game.  Linebacker Matt Williams leading the way with 5 tackles.   

Fogg and Dunn again added to the Wolverines' lead, Fogg with a spectacular 82 yard punt return and Dunn on a 23-yard sweep.  The O-line did a solid job all day, opening holes for Lancashire's runners for a total of 169 yards. 

In the second half, the trend for the Northerners continued, as did Fogg's amazing solo performance.  The Bolton native raced through the Bulls defense on a reverse play for a 55 yard touchdown that put the game out of the Bulls' reach.  As if his hat trick wasn't enough, he recovered a fumble on a punt return to set up Williams TD, who rumbled over from 1 yard out.  Purcell added the two-pointer himself. 

With the weather deteriorating, Lancashire's defense picked up the pace, recording three sacks in one quarter, Dunn and  Mark Chatwood combining for one, and Safety Nathan Carroll forcing a fumble on his, which was recovered by Rob Stirrup.  The Wolverines then ran the clock down to ensure their first victory of the season. 

Clyde Valley Hawks 20 - Moray Firth Dolphins 16

The Hawks first home game of the season was a hard won victory over the Dolphins. Despite some powerful running from Lee Nelson, the Hawks were forced to punt the ball on their first possession . The Dolphins capitalised finding the endzone with a TD pass. The 2 point conversion was good taking the score to 8 - 0. The Hawks first touchdown came in the second quarter when fullback Ally Longford rumbled into the end zone. The extra point was unsuccessful making the score 8 - 6. The third quarter started well for the Hawks, forcing two turnovers -  John Devoy and Andy Reynolds both forcing fumbles . Strong running from Nelson and passing yardage from Lee Collins culminating in a TD pass from QB Drew Black to Gary Orr.Black addedthe extra points to bring the score to 14 - 8. In the fourth quarter the Dolphins retook the lead when they struck back with a touchdown of their own and a successful 2 point conversion leaving the score at 16 - 14 . The Hawks left it late to snatch the victory in the final minute,  Black again connecting with Orr, to bring the final score to 20 - 16.

Scores and reports courtesy of BYAFA.

27th August 2001 - BYAFA Kitted Week 2 results

Moray Firth Dolphins 6-38 Dundee Storm
Glasgow Tigers 36-16 Clyde Valley Hawks
Brsitol Aztecs vs. London Blitz (to be rescheduled)
Handforth Hammerheads vs. Birmingham Bulls (to be rescheduled)
London Capitals vs. Essex Spartans (void)

On a day when the weather couldn`t make up its mind whether to rain or to let the sun shine, the Moray Firth Dolphins took on the Dundee Storm. The Storm controlled much of this game with the exception of a couple of flurries from the Dolphins. Dundee dominated but Moray Firth carried on fighting every inch and were rewarded in the fourth quarter when Billy Mill ran in a touchdown for the Dolphins. 

Results and report courtesy of BYAFA

20th August 2001- BYAFA Week 1 Results

Lancashire Wolverines 12-14 Handforth Hammerheads
Southern Sundevils 62-0 Bristol Aztecs
London Blitz P-P PA Knights Youth (game awarded to PA Knights)
Norwich Devils 12-34 London Capitals

Sundevils on their way to a score in their win versus Bristol Aztecs today
Photo courtesy of BritballNow

Action from the Southern Sundevils vs. Bristol Aztecs game in the BYAFA Southern Conference today
Photo courtesy of BritballNow

Norwich Devils 12 – London Capitals 34

The Capitals got their season underway with a win over long time rivals the Norwich Devils. However the game was a hard fought encounter and was closer than the scoreline might suggest.

London got off to a fast start when MVP Peter Trathen stripped the ball on Norwich’s opening drive and running back Ricky Reynolds capitalised with a 32 yard TD run. The conversion failed to leave the score at 6-0. Norwich failed to score on the next drive and London again punished them, this time John Trathen found the endzone from 28 yards out. Again the conversion was unsuccessful leaving the Cap’s ahead 12-0 at the end of the first period.

The Devils clawed their way back into the game, holding London scoreless in the second quarter and reducing the deficit by 6 points when DB Nate Ashby returned a poorly thrown pass 20 yards for the TD.

The Cap’s stamped their authority on the game at the beginning of the second half, Pete Trathen scoring on the opening drive, this time from 4 yards out. The conversion was successful this time, extending the lead to 20-6. London’s lead was further extended when Dan Watt scored on a 1 yard reception and MVP Trathen scored the 2 point conversion to take the lead to 28-6 at the end of the third quarter.Ricky Reynolds ended the Capitals scoring with a 3 yard scamper to bring the score to 34-6.

Norwich battled back bravely, QB Dan Singer driving his team downfield and Steve Hoskins scoring from 1 yard out to round out the scoring 34-12. The Devils had an onside kick called back due to a penalty but their D held firm and forced the Cap’s to punt. However, any chance of a comeback was snuffed out when Josef Khazar and Dan Watt recorded back to back sacks. London took a knee on the onsuing possession to run out the clock and end the game.

Lancashire Wolverines 12- Handforth Hammerheads 14

Rookie team, Handforth Hammerheads, inflicted Lancashire’s first home defeat in five years to leave the Wolverines heartbroken in a fiercely contested opening day encounter.

Lancashire drew first blood when FB Matt Williams galloped through the Hammerheads D for a 24 yard TD. The conversion failed, leaving the score at 6-0. Defense then took a stranglehold as both teams nullified their opponents offense with some highly physical play. Handforth defensive tackle Aaron Allaway was lost early to a dislocated shoulder but Oscar Li stepped in and recorded two sacks of Wolverines QB, Simon Purcell. Handforth’s offense finally showed signs of life, QB Ric Hennessy twice hooking up with MVP tight end Ford Wilding for first downs. However, the Hammerheads failed to find the endzone, leaving the half-time score at 6-0.

The third period continued in the same fashion as both offenses found the going tough. Handforth receiver Aleck Aspinall reeled in a quick slant from Hennessy and appeared to have scored from 21 yards out but an ankle tackle from Purcell gave the Hammerheads offense the ball on the Wolverines one yard line. Purcell saved the home teams blushes when he picked off a tipped ball  to give Lancashire possession at the one yard line.

Handforth finally scored midway through the fourth quarter, QB Hennessy taking a bootleg into the left hand corner of the endzone to tie the game. Stewart Hay gave the Hammerheads the lead for the first time, grabbing a two point conversion from Hennessy to make it 8-6. The Wolverines responded on the next possession, rookie Alex Dunn followed some excellent blocking and scoring from 6 yards out. However, Lancashire were again unable to convert leaving the score at 12-6. Some key runs by Hennessy on Handforth’s next drive took the visiting team downfield but the drive stalled leaving them facing a fourth and 8 with less than three minutes remaining. Handforth gambled and Stewart Hay took a reverse 9 yards to pick up the first down. Another run by Hennessy left the Hammerheads with a first down at Lancashire’s 8 yard line and they took the lead for good when Hay grabbed a quick slant from Hennessy. The two point conversion failed leaving the visitors with a slender 14-12 lead. The game ended in nail-biting fashion as Lancashire drove to Handforth’s 30 yard line but time ran out before they were able to get the snap off and the visitors sideline erupted.

Match reports supplied courtesy of BYAFA

 13th August 2001 - BYAFA announce Scottish kitted conference details

The BYAFA have announced the teams who will make up the newly formed Scottish Conference in the Youth Kitted League. The four teams are:

Clyde Valley Hawks
Dundee Storm
Glasgow Tigers
Moray Firth Dolphins

This is the first time teams from north of the border have competed in the regular season and a reflection of the hard work that is being put into the development of the sport at youth level. There are already another four development teams in the wings. Galloway Eagles, North Lanarkshire Rams, Craigmount Cougars and Inverclyde Sharks will be broadening the Scottish Conference in 2002.

26th August

Dundee Storm v Moray Firth Dolphins
Clyde Valley Hawks v Glasgow Tigers

2nd September

Moray Firth Dolphins v Clyde Valley Hawks
Dundee Storm v Glasgow Tigers

9th September

Glasgow Tigers v Moray Firth Dolphins
Dundee Storm v Clyde Valley Hawks

23rd September

Moray Firth Dolphins v Dundee Storm

30th September

Glasgow Tigers v Dundee Storm
Clyde Valley Hawks v Moray Firth Dolphins

7th October

Moray Firth Dolphins v Glasgow Tigers
Clyde Valley Hawks v Dundee Storm

14th October

Glasgow Tigers v Clyde Valley Hawks

27th July 2001 - BYAFA Youth Kitted revised schedule

The Derby Rhinos have pulled out of the BYAFA season, and so the Youth Kitted schedule has been revised.

Northern Division

Birmingham Bulls
Handforth Hammerheads
Lancashire Wolverines
Harrogate Hawks

Southern Division

Southern Sundevils
Bristol Aztecs
London Blitz
PA Knights Youth
Norwich Devils
London Capitals
Essex Spartans
London O's

Fixtures for the BYAFA Youth Kitted League below:

19th August Lancashire Wolverines v Handforth Hammerheads
Southern Sundevils v Bristol Aztecs
London Blitz v PA Knights Youth
Norwich Devils v London Capitals

26th August Handforth Hammerheads v Birmingham Bulls
Bristol Aztecs v London Blitz
London Capitals v Essex Spartans

2nd September Birmingham Bulls v Lancashire Wolverines
PA Knights Youth v Southern Sundevils
Norwich Devils v London O’s

23rd September Lancashire Wolverines v Birmingham Bulls
Harrogate Hawks v Handforth Hammerheads
PA Knights Youth v Bristol Aztecs
Southern Sundevils v London Blitz 
London Capitals v Norwich Devils
London O’s v Essex Spartans

30th September Harrogate Hawks v Lancashire Wolverines
PA Knights Youth v London Blitz
Bristol Aztecs v Southern Sundevils
London O’s v London Capitals
Essex Spartans v Norwich Devils

7th October Handforth Hammerheads v Lancashire Wolverines
Harrogate Hawks v Birmingham Bull
Southern Sundevils v PA Knights Youth
London Blitz v Bristol Aztecs
Essex Spartans v London O’s

14th October Birmingham Bulls v Handforth Hammerheads
Lancashire Wolverines v Harrogate Hawks
London Blitz v Southern Sundevils
London O’s v Norwich Devils
Essex Spartans v London Capitals

21st October Birmingham Bulls v Harrogate Hawks
Bristol Aztecs v PA Knights Youth
London Capitals v London O’s
Norwich Devils v Essex Spartans

Play-offs TBA

Final TBA

21st July 2001 - Redditch Arrows youth kitted tournament

The London O's look like they mean business as they warmed up for the new Youth Kitted season with 3 impressive wins against Bristol Aztecs, London Blitz and the Lancashire Wolverines. In the tournament at Kings Norton Rugby Club (home of the Redditch Arrows), the O's defeated the Aztecs 24-8, the London Blitz 16-6 and the Wolverines 38-0.


London O's 24-8 Bristol Aztecs
London O's 16-6 London Blitz
London O's 38-0 Lancashire Wolverines
Bristol Aztecs 8-12 Lancashire Wolverines
Lancashire Wolverines 8-22 London Blitz
London Blitz 14-8 Bristol Aztecs

The table finished as follows:







London O's







London Blitz







Lancashire Wolverines







Bristol Aztecs







20th July 2001 - BYAFA Youth Kitted Season details

At least 13 sides have entered the BYAFA Youth Kitted league for this season, almost a 100% increase in teams compared with 2000. The defending champion London O's compete in an 8-team Southern Conference, and the runners-up from last season take part in a 5-team Northern Conference.

Northern Division

Birmingham Bulls
Derby Rhinos
Handforth Hammerheads
Lancashire Wolverines
Harrogate Hawks

Southern Division

Southern Sundevils
Bristol Aztecs
London Blitz
PA Knights Youth
Norwich Devils
London Capitals
Essex Spartans
London O's

15th July 2001 - Brockenhurst Exiles fall to defeat in two friendlies

The Brockenhurst Exiles, who declined the invitation to join the BYAFA Youth Kitted League in 2001, hosted a three team flag football tournament against the Canterbury Coyotes and the Bournemouth Raiders who both play in the British Senior Flag League. The Exiles put in spirited showings in both games but lost 26-6 to the Coyotes and 34-0 to the Bournemouth Raiders.

7th July 2001 - Glasgow Tigers thrash Moray Firth Dolphins 55-22 in Youth Kitted Challenge

Glasgow Tigers played host to the Moray Firth Dolphins in youth kitted challenge match. Both teams are set to enter the Scottish Conference within the BYAFA league, and the game gave strong indicator of the level of up and coming talent in the Scottish game. In a well contested matchup, the Tigers in the end proved to be too strong for their visitors with four rushing touchdowns from Tigers MVP, Zane Marks. The Tigers scored further TD's from Sean Carney and two touchdowns catches from Thomas Grouchey and one from Graham Allen with the extra points coming from Ross McConnell, Andrew Connelly and QB Craig Wilson.

The Dolphins scored TD's through Mark Larnach, Colin Dishington and Andrew Swanston along with safeties scored by Thomas Hutchison and Harley Davidson and extra points from Andrew Swanston and Paul Ross.

14th June 2001 - Big increase in Youth Kitted sides for coming season

The BYAFA are expecting a large increase in registered teams for the coming Youth Kitted season. Teams that are expected to join the existing 7 sides include - Bristol, West Cumbria, Birmingham, Derby, London Blitz, Handforth (Manchester), Harrogate, Essex and Maidstone. This obviously bodes well for the future.

11th June 2001 - London Capitals coach to coach in the USA

The London Capitals are pleased to announce that their member, Dawid Ostrega, has become the first British player to become a Graduate Assistant Football coach at Averett University Virginia. A long time resident of Tottenham and Crouch End, Dawid originally came to the Capitals in 1992. The highlights of his career with the Capitals were their first National Championship in 1995 and his being selected as the Man of the Match versus the Dusseldorf Panthers in 1997. After becoming too old to play in the Under 19 league Dawid continued to assist in the coaching of the Capital running backs. He also continued his education at Westminster University and joined several other former Capitals in playing American football for the Hertfordshire University team. He was the starting full back in each of Hertfordshire's 3 BCAFL National Championships. Dawid says, "Though I've played for Hertfordshire and enjoyed and will treasure the experience I still and will always think of myself as a Capital. It was with the Capitals that I learned to love this sport. It was with them that I learned the value of team mates, of sportsmanship and the joy of competing against worthy opponents. I'm honoured that I will be able to continue my education at Averett University. It's rather awe inspiring that I'm going to learn how to teach this game to guys who've grown up with the sport. I hope I can give to them some of the fine lessons that the Capitals coaches gave to me. While I'm sure that Coach Fulton and the Averett staff have a lot to show me about the technical end of the game I don't think anyone can teach you more about the fun of this sport and it's life's lessons than the Capitals." Frank Fulton, head coach of the Division III Averett University team said, "It is with great excitement and enthusiasm that we are offering Dave the opportunity to join us as a Graduate Assistant. The position will require his contribution as a coach and recruiter for the varsity and JV teams. He will be assigned various duties within the program and will be given responsibilities regarding academic supervision of the team and its members." "We believe this opportunity will be a great win-win situation for us and for him. We believe there are many great athletes in Europe that could one day participate in American collegiate athletics. We also believe that his time here will make him a better communicator of the sport back in Great Britain."

Capital head coach, Stephon Healey, says, "We've always been proud of Dawid. We'll miss him but know he will do well overseas. He'll be joining Bobby Henderson (Capital outside linebacker) at Averett. Coach Fulton tells me that Bobby is already the strongest man on campus, and they believe that he will develop into an impact player. With players like Tom Britton, Bobby and Dawid in our recent history and the great players from our past, we have a lot to live up to, but we also have shown that a British players dreams can come true if they arewilling to put in the work in the classroom and on the field. Today I'm just proud to be a Capital." Visit the Capitals' Websitehttp://go.to/londoncapitals

5th June 2001 - Harrogate Hawks gain revenge against Dundee

The Storm travelled to Yorkshire on Sunday to complete a double header against the Hawks.The Storm defeated the Hawks two weeks ago in Dundee but knew they faced a tough task to do the double as they only managed to field 13 players due to injuries,work and school commitments.The Storm stuggled early on and a referees call gave the Hawks the ball close to the Dundee goal line. The fired up Hawks scored on the next play to take an early lead. The Storm were not allowed to settle by their determined apponents and were soon 14-0 behind. The game was then dominated by the Hawks, but a determined Dundee managed to get a score back just before half time and reduce the score-line to 14-6 at the half.

The half time break allowed Dundee to make some positional changes and they shocked their opponents with an early score which unsettled the Hawks and Dundee took some advantage. The Dundee team were suddenly a changed unit and a further score from them gave them lead for the first time in the game.The Dundee side despite being outnumbered continued to take the game to the Hawks and increased the lead to 20 - 14.

Dundee managed to hold this lead for some time but the well drilled Hawks continued to wear down the Storm and two quick scores seemed to give the game to the Hawks but Dundee came back again and then game appeared to be heading for a 28- 28 drawBut there was to be a winner and a late score for the Hawks was too much for Dundee and the Hawks hung on to win 34-28.

A well worked victory for the Hawks but Dundee will be delighted with their performance in what is hoped to become an annual event. Harrogate now head to the USA for training camp prior to their entry into the youth kitted league.

20th May 2001 - Dundee Storm defeat Harrogate Hawks in challenge match

The Storm and the Hawks continued their preparation for entry into the British Youth Kitted league, with the first of a double header of friendlies.The teams met on Saturday at Dawson park in Dundee in perfect weather conditions and treated the large crowd to an entertaining game of football. Dundee were soon into the flow of the game and a 60 yard completion from Safraz Ahmed to WR Mark Squire gave the Storm an early lead.The teams then traded plays for some time with defenses dominating the game. Neither team was doing much offensively until Dundee defensive back Ben Han ran an interception back to the Harrogate 20 yard line to give Dundee excellent field advantage. Dundee QB Ahmed then connected with Ryan Crighton on a short pass for the TD, and followed that up with a completion to Dave Webster for the extra points to give Dundee a 14-0 lead.The well organised Harrogate team did not let this get to them and continued to maintain the pressure on Dundee but were struggling to get points on the board with defenses dominating. Ahmed then showed he could also get on the scoreboard with a QB keeper from the 20 yard line. At this point 20-0 was flattering to Dundee in what was a fairly even game. Just on the half time whistle Harrogate QB Jason Baldridge found his way into the endzone to get the Hawks first score and reduce the deficit to 20-6.

The second half began with Hawks taking the game to Dundee and sustained pressure for almost all of the third quarter led to Baldridge repeating his first half score with a short keeper into the end zone.Dundee must have felt the game was about to turn at this stage but they had not expected what was to happen next.On the kick off DB Ben Han was to receive on the Dundee 20 yard line and run the ball back for the best score of the day.This lifted the spirits in a tired Dundee side and they held on to win 26-12.The teams meet again in Harrowgate in two weeks time and Dundee will be looking to do the double but with a little bit of luck this score could be easily reversed by the well organised Hawks.

Game MVPS were Ben Han for the Storm and Jason Baldridge took the honour for the Hawks.

24th March 2001 - USA Allstars destroy UK Allstars 38-0

Poor weather forced this game to be moved from Finsbury Park to the New River Astroturf pitch and on this surface the USA Allstars revelled.

"Our lines managed to stay competitive," said UK Coach, Jason Henry, "Most of our players stepped up to the challenge".

The Americans were kept out of the endzone only twice in the half, the excellent blocking of Allstar Tackle David Crouch (USA Allstar Offensive Player of the Match - South Hawks) opened up holes for the running backs and gave QB Scott Williams (University of Pennsylvania) plenty of time to find his receivers.

Adrien Buffong, Josef Khasir, and Navid Narini (London Capitals) still managed to fight through and make tackles in the backfield, and Paulo Bandini (UK Allstars Defensive Player of the Match - London Blitz) managed to keep enough pressure on the Americans to make sure they worked for their points.

The UK Allstars found the complicated defense they faced daunting but they fought on bravely. Simon Bamford (UCLA Renegades) and London Capitals rookie Ricky Reynolds were picked as co-offensive players of the match by the USA coaches.

"They showed toughness and tenacity. They were inspiring players," said USA Coach Jake von Scherrer.

"Often when a game starts to get out of hand teams roll over and quit. The USA players learned a lot out there from the English team. The UK Allstars never quit. They played with intensity on each and every down. They were a credit to their coaches."

The game had to be called off at the half owing to the ambulance being forced to leave the site. The teams then scrimmaged for 20 plays each.

UCLA QB Simon Bamford said, "This was the most exciting game I've ever been involved in. I could have stayed on that field forever. It reminded me of just how much fun this sport is."

21st March 2001 - USA Allstars defeat London Capitals 18-0 in International Under-19 Challenge match

In the midst of rain and snow storms the All Stars and the Capitals were honoured to have the game opened by His Grace the Mayor of Haringey, Herbert Brown. The Capitals won the toss and elected to receive. The Capitals opened with star RB Adam Seoudy up the middle for 5 yards, sadly for the Caps Adam suffered the only significant injury of the day, a hairline fracture to the leg, and had to sit on the sidelines. On the next play QB Aaron Griffith was looking for WR Dan Watt in the flat. "I've never seen a rotating zone before, except on TV. I never expected the LB to come in from there," said the Caps QB.

Aaron Leiber (MM Academy and All Stars defensive Player of the Match) stepped up and ran the interception back 29 yards to open the scoring. The AllStars went for the 2 point conversion but the Caps defence held.  On the next kick off disaster struck again for the Caps as the kick return was fumbled. Scrambling in the mud the All Stars recovered the ball on the Capitals' 15. It took them 6 plays before Scott Williams (Granite City CA) found Robert Garza in the back of the end zone for the score. Again the All Stars tried for the two point conversion and, again, the Caps defense was resolute.   Being behind 12-0 after two minutes might have daunted most teams but the Capitals rose to the occasion. They stayed composed and put together a decent drive behind the running of Capitals Offensive player of the
match, Peter Trathen. Unfortunately the back-up Capitals center found the inclement conditions too much and bobbled the snap, recovered by the All Stars nose tackle Sonny Bargas (Odem Owls, Texas).   From their own 30 the All Stars mounted their most impressive drive. Twice faced with 4th and long they gambled and succeeded. On 3rd and 7 from the Cap's 25 Scott Williams called his own number and literally danced his way to the end zone. Capitals Linebacker Josef  Khasar says, "Scott was the hardest hitter on the field."

The Capitals defence held and again stopped the two point conversion attempt.  The Capitals offence continued to struggle but the defence had finally learned to adapt to the zone blocking techniques of the AllStars. As All Star head coach Pete Padilla said, "We hit them with everything we got. We owed it to our boys and to the Capitals to give them our best effort." The Capitals' defence held for the rest of the day and kept the All Stars out of the end zone.  Included was a series of 4 plays from the Capitals 3. 

Stephon Healey, Capitals Head Coach  said, "When we played contain properly and clogged the middle we were able to hold them. We could match them on size and speed but we couldn't match them on technique on every play. Ben Giff, (Capitals Defensive man of the Match) our safety, led the way and provided a good example with some excellent tackling. It was fun and an honour to play against a team of athletes like this. Good athletes and good sportsmanship are what make this sport great."

The Rt. Hon. David Lammey came to the banquet following the match and presented the match award trophies. He spoke about the importance of sports to the community and to young people and re-avowed his commitment to bringing sports back to the schools. On accepting the Challenge Cup coach Pete Padilla said, "This was a good win for us against a good football team. It's a testament to the All Stars players home town coaches that we were able to do this well. A lot of our players had never been out of their home towns before now. It was great of the Capitals to provide them with a truly memorable experience of fun and good fellowship to take home with them, memories and experience they will take with them through out their lives."

18th February 2001 - London Blitz triumph in kitted tournament at Maidstone

In a NFL Europe organised tournament six newly inducted youth teams contested a 9-a-side kitted tournament at Maidstone in Kent. Each team’s schedule comprised of three matches of 40 minutes each with only short breaks in between. The London Blitz entered the tournament as favourites, having played or scrimmaged with every team in the league’s Southern conference last year. With a squad containing several Great Britain development players, including running back Lennox Johnston and defensive captain Paolo Bandini, the Blitz successfully overturned their three scheduled opponents and finished the tournament with a 100% record. They defeated the Handforth Hammerheads 24-16, the Brockenhurst Exiles 20-0, the Maidstone Pumas 30-0 and the Birmingham Bulls 26-8.

Essex Spartans




Maidstone Pumas

Handford Hammerheads




London Blitz

Birmingham Bulls




Essex Spartans

Essex Spartans




Handford Hammerheads

Birmingham Bulls




Brockenhurst Exiles

London Blitz




Brockenhurst Exiles

Birmingham Bulls




Maidstone Pumas

Brockenhurst Exiles




Handford Hammerheads

London Blitz




Maidstone Pumas

London Blitz




Birmingham Bulls

Final Table








London Blitz







Birmingham Bulls







Brockenhurst Exiles







Handford Hammerheads







Maidstone Pumas







Essex Spartans







18th February 2001 - Dundee triumph over Strathclyde in Youth Kitted encounter

This game played in Glasgow on Saturday saw the Scottish Claymore development programmes benefits being shown further with the return of youth kitted football to Scotland for the first time in 12 years.

Dundee Storm and Strathclyde Posse both fielded large squads to contest the D.S.Sports challenge cup.The game was played  before a fair sized crowd in near perfect conditions at Garscube.

Both teams started the game strongly but Dundee were first to get on the score board with QB Sarfraz Ahmed connecting to WR Mark Squire for the opening TD,Ahmed thought he had added to the scoring but a holding penalty robbed him of the two point score.Dundee,s defence started to take control and forced a fumble which nose tackle Ian Moody duly recovered to regain the ball for Dundee.Running back Kenny Watt then scored his first points for Dundee.Strathclyde were again punished by the Dundee defensive line and another fumble was recovered by Dundee  defensive end Lars Halford.Dundee QB Ahmed again connected  with reciever Squires to add to the scoring with  Kenny Watt adding the two point conversion.Strathclyde again punished themselves with a fumble this time recovered by  defensive end Craig Campbell, this then saw Dundee working there way back up the field to score from RB Kenny Watt .Ian Moody,Fraser Thompson and Craig Blackwell all recovered further fumbles for Dundee but the score at the half remained 26-0 ..

Strathclyde coach Alan Wilson got his players reorganised at half time and they looked a more settled outfit in the second half,they started to control the game for long periods but could not get themselves on the score board.Some determined running from Rb Jordan Falconer gave Dundee problems and the presense of team Europe line man Gary Hare in several positions started to trouble Dundee.Despite Stathclyde looking a very different outfit Dundee pinned well into there own half then scored with  Ahmed connecting with Mark Squires for a 95 yard completion, Kenny Watt then ran in to add the two point conversion.The remainder of the game was pretty even with Strathclyde continuing to trouble Dundee with some determined running.Dundee qb Ahmed completed an excellent overall performance by him connectiong with WR Craig Blackwell to finish the scoring at 40-0.

Overall there were some excellent performances on both teams and a rematch will be a very different affair if Strathclyde can settle in to their game earlier.

Claymores Star Scott Cooper selected Strathclyde running back Jordan Falconer and Dundee linebacker Ryan Crighton as the game MVPS.

17th December 2000 - Southern Sundevils triumph in Devil Bowl II


















The Southern Sundevils triumphed in Devil Bowl II today, with a hard fought victory against the plucky Norwich Devils. In a game involving 10 touchdowns, it was the team from the south that came out on top.

The game pitted the Northern Runner-Up, the Norwich Devils against the Southern Runner-Up, the Southern Sundevils. After a number of postponments in the last few weeks, this game finally got the go-ahead Sunday.

The Southern Sundevils travelled to London where they played in the youth final against the Norwich Devils and what a game. The Sundevils opened up the scoring first, but Norwich replied straight after making the score tied.

Then on the following play Norwich's kickoff was returned all the way for a touchdown by Sundevil. Dale Powell adding to the score. Other touchdowns from runningback Shawn Smith helped rack up the points as the Sundevils had a comfortable win.

Quarterback Dave Tees had an outstanding game completing nearly all his passes and linebacker and defensive captain Russell Goodall had a number of tackles helping to dispose of Norwich's running game, but it was the offensive line that got the MVP and it was well deserved as they helped the backs run for over 400 yards.

The captains meet each other
Photo courtesy of D.Singer

Most Valuable Players

Sundevil MVPs (Awarded by Norwich) - Offensive Line
Devil MVP (Awarded by Southampton) - Steve Hoskins FB/LB

19th November 2000 - Scotland demolish England in historic Under 19 International - story from www.nfleurope.com

Scotland celebrate after winning the Sky Sports NFL Sunday Trophy Picture: NFL Europe

SCOTLAND completed a historic gridiron double over the Auld Enemy in Glasgow Sunday with a 44-2 thrashing of England at Under-19 level.

Strathclyde University running back Jordan Falconer scored two touchdowns en route to earn one of the game's two Most Valuable Player awards helping Scotland lift the Sky Sports NFL Sunday trophy at Glasgow's Garscube Sports Complex and add to the previous week's Under-16 international victory over England.

Defensive tackle Jim Adams was awarded the game's defensive MVP trophy, leading a hard-hitting Scots defense which never allowed their opponents to settle, with two forced fumbles and two sacks.

The Scots offense used a balanced attack and three quarterbacks - Sarfraz Ahmad, Matt McCusker and Craig Wilson - to rack up the points and down their historic rivals. England could only score through a Scots mistake when defensive tackle Shawn Hopkins swatted the ball from quarterback McCusker's grasp and out of the back of the end zone for the two-point safety.

The Scots began their assault when Graham Clee ran into the end zone from 14 yards out for the game's first touchdown. Glasgow Lions running back Paul Clements added a second touchdown from two yards after a stunning 31-yard run to set up the score to make it 12-0.

Falconer split the English defense at the start of the second quarter, slashing 44 yards for the Scots third score. Clee ran in the two-point conversion to make it 20-0.

Strong defense on both sides, with Hopkins sacking Ahmad twice and Scotland's Ross Templeton recovering two fumbles, saw possession change four times before Ahmad directed an eight-play scoring drive capped with a seven-yard touchdown pass to Stirling's David Mooney. Edinburgh quarterback Ahmad ran the two pointer in himself to give Scotland a 28-0 half-time lead.

After giving up the safety at the start of the second half, the Scots reclaimed their dominance of the game when substitute quarterback McCusker fired a stunning 42-yard touchdown pass to Glasgow Lions team-mate Alan McDermott. David Mooney added the two-point conversion and Scotland were in command at 36-2.

Victory was completed for the Scots when Falconer added to his earlier score, rushing into the end zone from ten yards before fellow running back Chris Bolton ran in the two-point conversion to finish the scoring at 44-2 at the end of the third quarter.

The Scots did return to the end zone two more times with touchdown passes from Under-16 quarterback Craig Wilson to tight end Mark Squire, however, both strikes were called back due to penalties.

Report courtesy of www.nfleurope.com

5th November 2000 - London O's clinch the 2000 BYAFA Youth Kitted League title


The London O's completed a memorable double as their youth kitted team joined their senior team as British champions. London's adult team clinched the British senior League crown in September's BritBowl, and touchdowns from Luke Smith, Marvin Allen and Paul Rush ensured the O's kids followed in their footsteps.

Although the Londoners have been the dominant British senior side over the past decade, this was the junior team's first final and first championship.

In winning their first title, the O's halted the Wolverines, who were playing in their 5th BYAFA YKL final.

The wet and stormy conditions made it hard for both offenses to get going early on, with Lancashire puntin gon their first two possessions.

The O's finally got going on their second drive when quarterback Smith just failed to connect with wide receiver Graham Walby on what would have been a 40 yard touchdown strike.

London had to take the field goal, but the Wolverines came up big to block the 2 point attempt.

The O's began to take control on the ground in the second quarter with Allen, Brett Rosenbaum and rookie Khamar Mohammed advancing the ball down to the Wolverines two.

On first and second down, the O's were denied the short plunge into the endzone, but SMith bootlegged his way into the endzone on third down, with the slightly injured Andy Boyle making the extra two, giving London an 8-0 advantage at half-time.

Lancashire took their own second half kickoff back to the O's 30 yard line after the O's thought the ball had sailed out of bounds, but the London defense again made it difficult and got the ball back with the Wolverines failing to gain any significant headway.

By this time, London's offensive line, led by Graham Day, Steve Hopkins and Steve Clements, were all able to create big holes for London's dominant runners, but the drive ended with a missed field goal.

The O's defense, led by Darren Gregory, was also in top form, forcing numerous fumbles and keeping pressure on the Lancashire backfield.

London finally broke the game open in the final period, with Allen adding to his 100 yard day by rushing in from 5 yards. The extra point miss kept the score at 14-0.

Lancashire then put their best drive of the game together, reaching the O's five. However, they were then pushed back to the 20.

Gregory hit the Lancashire QB's arm as he threw on a desperation fourth down play, however, and cornerback Rush intercepted the ball and ran 80 yards for the clinching score, with Boyle's double making it 22-0 at the end.

"Both teams were outstanding and we must also thank the officials for playing their part in atrocious weather," said a London O's spokesman. "They kept the game moving and were outstanding."

© BritballNow 2014