2002 College news



 Round one of the heavily hyped 'Battle of Scotland' and the subsequent bid for the annual bragging rights went to Stirling after a 51 - 8 victory over Glasgow.  Coming into the game, Glasgow were looking for redemption after a 2001-2002 season that saw them lose to Stirling for the first time in their history. However, any roar shown by the Tigers in an attempt to intimate the Clansmen was immediately silenced from the opening kick-off.

On the second drive of the game the Clansmen offence continued to show its power and with it took an early lead on a 31 yard run from McNey.  The defence would respond just as aggressively with the Tiger offence turning the ball over on downs on their first possession.

Further touchdowns in the first half by Jon Sutherland (13 and 3 Yard Runs) continued this theme, taking Stirling into the locker room with a 21-0 lead.  With a relentless job of stuffing the run and maintaining step for step coverage against the passing game, the Tigers began to run out of options.  This didn’t help their chances of victory with Stirling continuing to pound the Tiger defence with touchdown passes from McNey to Yanes-Roca and Fleming.  Forced to make a play 35-0 down, the Tigers opted for a long passing game and on all five attempts were either batted down (one by McNey and one by Ives) or intercepted (one by McNey and two by Bryan, one for a 40 yard touchdown).  The final touchdown from a run by Simon cemented a dominating performance and with it a change in the balance of power in Scottish college football.


The Falcons recorded their highest ever win with a 50-0 victory over the Essex Blades, making them serious contenders for a place in the playoffs. After a scoreless opening quarter, a long drive led the Falcons into the 2nd and it was not long before the offence came up trumps, with RB Gareth Wright scoring on a 5yd TD Run. However, the 1pt PAT was well blocked by the Blades and the score remained 6-0.  The Falcons D were not going to allow the Blades to get straight back into the game and quickly forced a turnover to put the Falcons O back onto the field. The Offence was firing on all cylinders and a sharpened attack ended with a TD, courtesy of a 5yd run by QB William Hogan. The Falcons went for the 2pt PAT and it proved to be successful with SB Mike Manetta running it in. Again, the Falcons D showed their dominance, with FS Stuart Skinner intercepting the ball, capitalised by the O for another TD. The Falcons got their first passing TD of the game via a 3yd reception from WR Mike Whitby. QB Hogan followed a successful TD pass with a successful 2pt PAT run to bring the score, at the end of the first half, to 22-0.

The Falcons O wasted no time starting the second half, taking full advantage of a fumble recovery to score yet another TD, thanks to Wright’s 2nd TD of the game. The Blades O could find no way through the strong Falcons D held them on a ‘4th and 2’, giving the Falcons O excellent field advantage. The O duly obliged with Wright running into the end zone from the 6yd line to complete a hat-trick of TDs. The 2pt PAT was well caught by WR Tom Payne to bring the score to 36-0 at the end of the 3rdquarter. The Falcons scored early in the 4th after an interception by #22 Jamie Ewen, with a 4yd TD run by Manetta. The Blades refused to let the score get to them and had their longest drive of the game, which was led by their 3rd string QB. However, the Falcons defence wanted a deserved shutout and achieved with 4 huge plays to stop the Blades on the 1yd line. A 99 yard drive ensued by the Flacons, and #35 Gareth Wright recorded his 4th TD of the game, with #16 Hogan finishing the scoring with a successful 2pt PAT attempt to bring the score to an impressive 50-0


Oxford notched up their second win of the season with a key victory over rivals the Surrey Stingers after a week off due to the cancelled game at Aberystwyth.  Surrey received the opening kickoff, but were forced to punt by the already firing Oxford D. Oxford then put together a 4 play, 50 yard drive with carries from FB Hafeez Lawal and HB Kingsley Ejiogu. It was Ejiogu that got his name on the scoresheet first, sprinting the ball home from 21 yards out. Oxford added the two points and the quarter ended with a series of punts from both sides.

In the 2nd quarter, the Oxford offensive line continued to make the holes and eventually gave Ejiogu his second and third scores of the game with lengthy runs to increase the lead to 20 points. Surrey managed first downs, but Stingers QB Dudley Graham could not get the visiting team too far up the field without the Oxford D pushing them back behind the line of scrimmage. John Barclay made the score 26 – 0 heading into halftime with his first TD of the season with an athletic 19 yard reception from QB Charlie Greenbacker.  A bone-crunching run from Sarper saw him taken down by a Surrey linebacker and Greenbacker found rookie wideout Anthony Ring for his first score in Oxford Colors. Kicker Johnny Round added the extra point. Oxford’s D continued to shine with another pick from Powell and refused to give a determined Surrey anything.  Oxford continued to throw a mixture of passes and runs at the tiring Stingers D. Ejiogu continued to torment with rushes, only to be forced to sit out the rest of the game due to injury. Lawal then took the reigns and with the Stingers anticipating the run, Barclay took his second TD, this time from 30 yards out ending the game 39 – 0.


The game started well for Teesside as Gaz Eastwood brought the ball back to the half way line with an excellent kick off return.  It wasn’t long before Teesside was on the scoresheet when Wide receiver Gaz Eastwood came down in the end zone with a TD reception from QB Pete Rogers.  The 2 PAT failed.  Defensive stalemate was the order of the day as Leicester’s QB was continually intercepted by the Teesside defence.  Teesside could not move the ball due to a rampant Leicester defence.  However, it was Teesside who ended the stalemate when linebacker Andrew Powley intercepted the ball and took it 18 yards for the touchdown score.  The 2 PAT was converted by RB Ben McQueeney.  That ended the first half.

The second half was just as bitter as the first with the defences of both teams doing an excellent job of stopping the offences from moving the ball.  However Teesside came up with another defensive score when Theo Cooper recorded a safety.  The defences dug in again as both quarterbacks were intercepted during the third.  During the fourth it was the turn of Leicester’s defence to score as Brian Mann stripped the ball from Teesside’s quarterback and ran in the 35 yards for Leicester’s first score of the day.  Tailback Johnny Butler added the 2 PAT.  Teesside fought back with more defensive turnovers and excellent tackling from Teesside’s defensive line halted the running game of Leicester.  Teesside then drove down field and Teesside were staring at Fourth and five when Pete Roger’s kept the ball for himself an ran a QB keeper up the middle of the field.  Rogers broke two tackles and managed to scramble into the end zone from 13 yards out.  The 2PAT failed.  Leicester had one last gasp attempt to put points on the board but came up short on fourth down.  Teesside were able to run the clock out with some excellent runs from RB Ben McQueeney.


In a game dominated by two outstanding defences it was Reading's Matt Hardy that ultimately made the difference with two outstanding solo efforts the only scores in a close game.  Warwick started brightly with Martin Evans moving the ball but unfortunately Warwick’s offence was again blighted by needless penalties and missed blocks. Reading’s offence was hit by similar problems until with third and long Hardy broke free and scampered into the end zone for six. A missed field goal at the end of the half was the nearest Warwick came to scoring.

The second half saw a similar pattern develop, on third down the Reading O-line opened a huge hole, and Hardy was not to be caught, scoring his second TD of the day on a breakaway 85yd TD run.  On the ensuing kick return Matt Rawson jinked his way forward for Warwick but was stopped by a despairing last man tap tackle from the Reading kicker. Warwick’s offence continued to drive the ball before stopping their own momentum with penalties and missed blocks, and a further two missed field goals left them with nothing to show for their efforts.


Herts opened strongly against a reshuffled Pirate defence, and despite being forced to punt, and error by the Pirates on the punt allowed the Canes the ball back on the UEA five. The defence led by Ryan Keenan held firm stopping the Canes power running game cold and canes were left with a field goal. A turnover gave the Hurricanes great field position and despite the Pirates defence looked to be holding firm, the Canes' back up QB threw a great ball up to Herring at wide receiver for the 46 yard score right at the death of the first quarter.

The Hurricanes then set about breaking the pirate defence down, with some great running by HB Andy Cochrane, who eventually capitalised and dived home from the pirate one. This was the culmination of a twenty two play drive, which included a ten play goal line stand before the eventual touchdown. The teams turned in at the half with Herts leading 15 – 0.

The second half started well for UEA, with the offence picking up where they had left off, driving the ball, and the defence stepping up in the face of some strong running by Herts. The third quarter was a tale of unfinished drives by both sides as the defences started to dominate the game. Herts finally broke UEA hearts with a 74 yard TD catch by Herring icing the game for the Canes.  Pirate heads dropped and the offence again spluttered as Banik hit the final interception. The led to the final score by Herts, a 25 yard grab by rookie Richard McHugh.


The Sharks gained the first possession and bizarrely took to the air, but despite completions by QB Marc Gent to veterans Victor Choi and Robert Avery, Hull could not score.  Loughborough were held to a three and out by Hull’s rapidly improving defence led by captain Gaz Wild. The Aces remained unfazed and managed to drive back with their next procession. A 30 yard run by Aces emerging star RB Rich Marnell appeared to give the visitors the lead. However the joy was shortlived as a holding penalty nullified the play.   This shock woke up the sleepy Sharks whose offence promptly marched upfield to score, Avery running in from 12 yards for the 6.  The home team got on the scoresheet again early in the second quarter when star rookie TE Simon Eatough managed to break free up the middle and scamper 75 yards for his second ever BCAFL touchdown. Jason Hague got the PAT. This made the score 13-0 at the half.

Both teams came back fired up and it showed as neither side could score despite gaining positive yardage.  In the fourth quarter the Aces got the most unusual of breaks when Jason Hague picked off a deep bomb at the Sharks 20 only to see the Hull offence fumble the ball away on the very next play. The Aces took full advantage, FB Mark Collett scoring from the 3. Andy Studer made the PAT to cut the deficit to six.  The Sharks D spurned on by memories of last weeks nail-biter in Lancaster did not want a repeat so stepped it up to hold off an aggressive Aces offence.  This allowed the Sharks O to run down the clock to give the Sharks their first win against the Aces since 1989.


Neither offence could find its feet in the first half though, with a heavy blitzing Lancaster Defence rushing Sheffield QB Paul Musker, and aggressive tackling by Sheffield debutant DT Oscar Huges Salas and 2nd year Sabre LB Chidi Edordu broke down Lancaster’s running game forcing them to the air. Here Sheffield looked reasonably comfortable, with the Sheffield Defensive backfield looking more than a match for any passing game. However Lancaster fought on, and an impressive drive late in the second quarter put them in excellent scoring position, with a First Down on the 4 yard line.  QB Chris Mayne threw a simple 5 yard reception to WR Gil David for a TD, converted by RB Stewart Flaherty who bulldozed in for the 2PAT to set the score at 8-0 Bombers.

The next half was a defensive battle dominated by the Bombers, with LB Adam Pemberton laying some especially vicious hits on the Sabres’ QB.  The fired up Lancaster D swarmed all over Sheffield and Pemberton finally intercepted a wayward pass and ran it back 30 yards for the winning score, aided along the way by DL Boy de Waart with five tackles and LB Flaherty who had 6 tackles and 1 ½ sacks on the day.


A rushed start to the game due to a late arrival of the Plymouth Blitz made it difficult for the Blitz to settle early in the game. Southampton capitalised on this and with a strong rushing drive, Guy Walker running it in from 1yrd. After a failed PAT, Blitz failed to drive and the Stags offence scored with an 8yrd TD reception to Gareth Dauley. PAT failed again. With the Blitz driving, an interception by Andy Stephens was run back for a TD and 2 point conversion with a pass to Ben Web. A late second quarter 53yrd reception from Leo Lindsay saw the stags extend their lead to 26-0

The Second half showed a more determined Blitz effort, but Southampton took to the air with both QB’s Davin Jones and Ted Baymin passing for TD’s to Jeremy Gee in the 3rd Quarter and Gareth Dauley in the 4th.


A close contest that was eventually won by a Cardiff team who made the most of their chances in the second half. The first half was fairly quiet with both defences dominating. The Bath defence made a huge stand on their own 1yd line, holding Cardiff on 4 downs and forcing the turnover. The Bath offence responded to their defence and scored a 1yd TD through Tail Back Stuart Miller after a 60yd drive. The defences dominated the rest of the half, with some outstanding individual performances, Mark Richards in particular for the Bees who racked up a total of 15 tackles. In the third quarter, Cardiff took the lead with a 36yd TD run from running back Adam Collett. The PAT was good. Cardiff stretched their lead further in the fourth quarter through a 3yd run from Collett. Bath responded when QB Ben Salisbury connected with wide-out Steve Leonard for a 65yd TD. Cardiff however had the final say with a 14yd TD pass, again to Collett, who converted the 2 pt attempt. Bath tried to respond in the dying minutes, throwing deep, but an interception handed possession back to Cardiff, who were able to run the clock down.


The Lions started well pinning Aber inside their own 10-yard line and then driving the ball well on their first two possessions.  The deadlock was broken when the Lions moved the ball down the field with some solid running from TB Michael Wycherley, this resulted in QB Stuart Ennis throwing a 33 yard TD strike to WR Dave Winter.  The Thunder responded positively with a TD pass of their own, this a 60 yard throw by Ryan McElroy to Simon Broad.  Aber went for the 2-point conversition and succeeded to draw them ahead 7 – 8.  In a fast a furious 1st quarter the Lions responded immediately with an electric return on the ensuing kick-off by Winter, Winter went 99 yards untouched for the score (A Lions Record).  This saw the Lions take back the lead at 13 – 8.

The second half began with Aber trailing by 5.  Tough defence from the Lions combined with a superb 80 yard drive by their offence, which was finished off by QB Stuart Ennis plunging over for a 1 yard TD score, instigated from the inspirational play of Wycherley and Winter.  Aber struggled to move the ball against the Lions defence, which had overcome first half frailties, and the game was effectively over when Stuart Ennis again found Winter in the deep for a 70-yard TD pass, which completed a spectacular catch in which he always appeared second best.


A recovered fumble allowed the Staffs offence on the field.  Taking quick advantage of the turnover the ball was handed off to #22 Ziad Choueiri who then carried it 35 yards down field into the opponents half.  Some strong running led to a Stallion TD by #5 Brett Rosenbaum on a bootleg.  Derby got the ball back but were forced to punt and the remainder of the first quarter was quiet.  The second quarter didn’t offer much as the Stallions offence was still warming up and the Derby O couldn’t move the ball more than few yards.  Towards the end of the second quarter the Braves opted to pass deep but a resulting sack from DT Adam Steele saw the Derby QB fumble inside his own ten yard line which was recovered by LB Ben Rainford and he jogged it into the endzone. 

The second half saw an incredible boost on both sides of the ball for the Stallions.  After receiving the kick off, saw the Stallions drive to the Derby 25yard line.  A pass from Brett Rosenbaum to Gurkinder Mann #81 resulted in a TD.  The 2 pt conversion was carried in by #84 Allistair Reed on a reverse.  The Stallions managed to regain the ball on the Derby 7yard line after #57 Gavin Newcombe recovered a fumble.  The resulting play saw #5 Brett Rosenbaum bootleg it into the corner.  The fourth quarter was much the same for the Stallion D.  The Offence fired up again and put away another TD from #3 Alan Klewplatinwond who ran it in from 8 yards out with some great blocking from the Stallions O-line.  The resulting 2pt conversion was optioned in by #22 Ziad Choueiri.  The Braves lost the ball and Choueiri found himself back in the endzone following a sweep play.  The resulting 2pt conversion failed.  Paul Summers himself returned a punt late in the game after Derby were forced to punt from their endzone.  The return was 35 yards and he went in untouched.

For details of Week 6 fixtures, information about a team featured in this report or generl information about the league, go to www.bcafl.org

17th November 2002 BCAFL Week 3 results

Birmingham Lions 19-12  PA Surrey Stingers
Hertfordshire Hurricanes 26-6 UKC Falcons
Lancaster Bombers 20-40 UT Cougars
Leeds Celtics 31-6 UCH Sharks
Nottingham Outlaws 42-0 Leicester Lightning
Oxford Cavaliers 40-19 Reading Knights
Southampton Stags 31-0 Cardiff Cobras
Stirling Clansmen 40-8 Newcastle Raiders
UEA Pirates 20-0 Essex Blades
Warwick Wolves 0-28 Tarannau Aberystwyth

9th November 2002 – BCAFL Week 2 review

The following report is courtesy of the BCAFL.

Following last week's atrocious weather conditions, the second week of the season saw predominantly defensive games played in the more 
typical rain and generally cold English weather.


Loughborough began their title defence with a 21-9 victory over local rivals, Leicester Lightning.  The game began with a tough defensive battle, 
both sides looking solid.  The Aces had a TD called back for a penalty late in the first quarter but opened the second with a 25 yard TD run from 
GB Bulldogs RB Mattar M'Boge.  Solid defensive performances from Fadie Shamoon, Pete Sewell and rookie David Wood kept the score 6-0 at 
half time.

The 2nd half saw M'boge run 29 yards for his 2nd TD and then complete the 2 point conversion.  Leicester continued to fight back, scoring 
their first points of the season when quick thinking led them to recover a fumbled snap and drive it over the line.  Loughborough hit back, 
M'Boge scoring again and Andy Studer converting the PAT kick.  Leicester gained a further 2 points from a safety late in the game but the 
score finished 21-9 to the Aces.


When the Bullets first looked at their schedule they couldn't have wished for a tougher opening game. The Bullets had only beaten the Stags 
once in 14 attempts and that was last season, so the Stags were out for revenge.

Opening games are always tough on the teams offensive units, both teams offenses had problems gelling throughout the game, in muddy conditions, 
and this was characterised by the high number of offensive penalties.

Both defenses nullified their opposing offenses through the first three quarters of the game. But both offenses showed glimpses of what they could 
become. Tony Wright pulled out an 18 yard rush in traffic in his first Bullets game, and Southampton's 3 rotating QBs looked to have a lot of promise. 

The tense deadlock was finally broken mid-way through the 4th quarter when Nigerian Running back Tunde Adepoju scampered 52 yards to set the 
Bullets up 10 yards outside the Stags endzone. Adepoju was once again given the ball, and this time "flew" over the goal line for the Bullets first 
points of the College Bowl XVII campaign. The Bullets failed to convert the ensuing point after attempt, but the Bullets sideline erupted nonetheless.

But with 7 minutes still left to play, the Stags offense rallied, and with Paul Brady under center started to make things happen.

Brady, the veteran BSL wide-receiver come QB, found himself in the Bullets redzone with only seconds left on the clock, after spiking the ball, the 
Stags offense had once last shot at tying up the score.

Brady took the snap, his front 5 cut the Bullets defensive line and he bootlegged left, looking for a receiver. The Bullets secondary had them 
covered well, so Brady tucked the ball away and made a dash for the goal line. Its was GB Linebacker Brendan Cunnane that put his body on 
the line to make the game-saving tackle and in doing so found his leg in a cast.

The Bullets sealed a tough opening win, and look to improve before facing the ever improving Plymouth Blitz, at the BAWA Healthcare & Leisure, 
Southmead Rd, Filton on Sunday 10th October - Kick Off 1pm.

Offensive MVP: Tunde Adepoju 6 for 85yds 1TD
Defensive MVP: Brendan Cunnane 3unassisted 1 assisted and a game saving tackle!


Glasgow took the opening score on their first drive when ian cochrane ran in for the score from the 4 yard Line.  The two point conversion was 
added as Jeremy Beedy was left unmarked in the endzone.  For much of the game it was a defensive stalemate with neither team gaining much 
on offence.  However this stalemate was broken in the fourth by Glasgow Wide receiver Andy Hall who caught a 15 Yard pass from quarterback 
Matt McCusker.  The two point conversion was added again by Beedy.  The rest of the match was deadlocked.  A deep pass by Teesside’s 
Quarterback, Pete Roger’s, was dropped in the endzone by wide receiver Gaz Eastwood.  The game ended and Glasgow were victors but Teesside 
had not been broken.  Teesside left with their heads held high after many of the players were playing both ways by the end of the game.  A good 
win for Glasgow and a Baptism of Fire for the UT Cougars 


Hurricanes elected to kick off and forced the Nottingham Offense to punt on their first possession.  After a 70 yard drive QB Junior Price ran it in 
from 5yrds.  The field goal attempt from kicker Rob Kelly was successful.  So it was 7-0 to the Hurricanes at the end of the first quarter and it 
stayed that way for the rest of the half.  The second half saw a more spirited display from the Hurricanes especially the defense who played hard 
and lifted the team.  The offense were inspired by this and in the third quarter scored again, with veteran fullback Andy Cochrane running it in 
from 8yrds.  At the end of the 3rd it was 13-0 to the Hurricanes.  The Nottingham Offense was again shut out for the 3rdquarter whilst the Hurricanes 
defense kept up the pressure.  The fourth quarter saw the Hurricanes Defense step up again, pinning Nottingham back in their own half.  The final 
result; a 13-0 win for the Hurricanes, making them 2-0 for the season so far.   


The Leeds Celtics opened the scoring when Robert Taylor scored a safety on Sunderland’s fourth offensive play. This score opened the 
floodgates and the Leeds offence dominated the score board. They scored on the ground, through Rich Krauss and Dan Prewitt, and through the 
air, when Tom Lockard, who completed 16 of 23 passes, connected with Alex Fisher. Sunderland were unable to move the ball against a dominant
Leeds defense, which did not allow a first down. 


The Birmingham Lions got their season off to a good start with a 21-0 victory over Tarrannau Aberystyth.  Aber started on their own 5 yard line, 
the pressure of the Lions defence eventually resulting in them having to punt.  A defensive stalemate held until near to the end of the half when Lions 
QB Stuart Ennis picked out WR Dave Winter for the first score of the game.  Mistakes riddled the 2nd Quarter with neither team able to produce a 
solid drive.  Thus the half finished at 7 – 0 Lions

Birmingham started the 2nd half well, with Ennis this time finding Jake Ourada for their 2nd TD, just five minutes in.  Despite Aber's determined 
attempts at a comeback during the 4th quarter, the Lions pushed forwards and secured the win at the beginning of the 4th quarter, following a TD 
from Joseph Arumimi and the further 2 points from Scott De Charme.  


Despite travelling for 4 hours, Stirling showed from the opening drive that they meant business.  A touchdown run by Jon Sutherland on the first 
Stirling drive of the game signified this, the two-point conversion failed.  Following another touchdown and another unsuccessful two point conversion 
Stirling began to pull away 12-0 after the first quarter.  This would only spur the Raiders to fight back and by half time they narrowed the deficit to 5 
with a touchdown and PAT. 

This would be the main headline for the rest of the game, the spirit of both teams.  After another touchdown Stirling led 18-7 before an well executed 
and improvised running game by the Raiders brought them within 4 at the end of three.

The fourth quarter was a roller-coaster for both teams.  With a matter of seconds to go it was Newcastle who held the edge.   A Stirling drive led my 
Gary McNey would be the decisive factor.  A well-orientated attack that used the skills of Jon Sutherland, Carlos Yanes-Roca and Johnny 
Bannerman produced a clutch fourth down play and a following touchdown pass to Bannerman from McNey, the game finishing 28 - 30. 


Plymouth’s defence took full advantage of a strong wind, stifling the Cobras’ opening drive. Running back Tim Creswell broke free through the 
left to score a 12-yard touchdown relatively untouched. Switching sides and with the strong winds at their back, Cardiff broke the defensive deadlock, 
building a sustained and balanced drive which culminated with a 5-yard QB bootleg by Lance Godfrey to bring the teams to level pegging, where they 
stayed until the 4th quarter.

An immaculately timed interception and 25-yard return by Andrew Giblin was to set the tone for a fourth quarter that was completely dominated by 
the Cobras.  Giblin’s pick set up a short Cardiff drive, capped off by a strong 1-yard dive by  FB Mike Noakes.  Rookie receiver Henry Paddison 
hauled in the 2-point conversion as Cardiff took the lead at 14-6.

Inspired, the Cobra defense stepped up the pressure on the Blitz.  Ultimately, the Cobra passrush proved too strong as Richie Garner, Balmer and 
Hobbs manhandled the Blitz’ QBs and RBs with truly punishing tackles. 

Cardiff’s versatile offense one again took to the field.  It was Paddison again, this time from 20 yards out, who took the visitors to 20-6 and, at the 
final whistle, a much-needed 1-0 for an early pole position in their division. 


The Stingers quickly moved the ball deep into Blades territory but narrowly failed to convert a 4th and short opportunity.  The Surrey defence quickly had the ball back in their hands when DaveSkinner forced a fumble that was recovered by Stuart Wade.  This time the power running of Tobin carried the ball to his own 1yd plunge for 6 points. The Stingers then ran a 2 point conversion play which Tobin carried in for an 8-0 lead. The second quarter saw the visitors with the ball.  A four play, 72yd drive was finished off by Dave Tobin as he scampered 32yds for a score. He again ran in the 2 point conversion and the score stood at 16-0. Rookie Jerome Danvers made a blistering return of the second half kick off to set the Stingers up in good field position. A three play, 33yd drive was completed by Andy Grist with a 17yd TD sprint, his first score for the Stingers. Tobin returned to punch home the 2 point conversion and the Stingers led 24-0. With Essex pressing hard to stop the run the fourth quarter saw the visitors go to the air. Dudley Graham, playing his first year at QB , found Kenny Lettman with a play action pass that saw the Stingers TE race 66yds to score. The extra point attempt failed and the final score stood at 30-0


The first quarter was mainly dominated by defence, both teams having a jittery start to their first games of the 02/03 season. The 2nd quarter was more productive and the Falcons got on the board first with a QB bootleg left and a pass thrown to WR Mike Whitby for a 10yd TD reception. Stuart Skinner converted the PAT to put the home side up by 7. The Falcons defence was strong and Gareth Wright ran in from the 5yd line after a positive drive by the Falcons Offence, but Skiner missed the PAT. That ended the first half with UKC up 13-0. 

A dominating Falcons defence forced a turnover early in the 2nd half to give them the ball in Wolves territory. The opportunity was not wasted and QB William Hogan threw a 6yd pass to slot back Mike Manetta to put the Falcons up 19-0. The PAT was good.  The defence again stopped Warwick after the Wolves longest drive of the day. The Falcon offence didn’t let up and got into Wolves territory after a 45yd reception by WR Mike Whitby. The drive went all the way to the endzone with FB Jon Newman running the ball in from the 4yd line. The Falcons got the ball back again after some big plays by the UKC Defence including a sack by LB Luke Read and several tackles for loss of yards by LB James Birmingham and DT Jamie Ewen. The Falcons offence drove hard to within scoring distance behind the running force of FB Gareth Wright and TB Mike Manetta ran the ball home from the 15yd line to end the scoring for the day with the final result a commanding 33-0 victory for the UKC Falcons.



The first quarter heralded a defensive stalemate and it wasn't until the second quarter that Sheffield broke through, with RB Jonathan Weller running in from 40 yards for a TD.  At the start of the second half, Lancaster's KR Bob Stanges returned the ball for a 57 yard TD.  The game remained at 6-6 following an un successful 2 point conversion attempt.  A defensive battle ensued.  Lancaster's DE Andrew Doran picked off a wayward pass in the final quarter and returned it for a touchdown.  The 2 point conversion attempt was again unsuccessful, but the Bombers ran out eventual winners, 12-6.


The second outing of Sussex Thunder's new look young squad on Sunday saw valuable lessons learnt as they slipped to a 20-0 defeat against College side Bath Killer Bees. 

Although Thunder were confident after last week's strong win, the lack of game experience was apparent as they faced a well organised and experienced Killer Bees squad that just missed out on the BCAFL play-offs last season. 

Thunder struggled to find a cohesive consistency in the first half but thanks to a hard-working defence they only trailed 6-0 at the half.

Sussex Thunder squad vs. Bath

The third quarter belonged solidly to the Killer Bees as a well drilled offence tucked away two TDs and a 2 point conversion but the fourth period saw the Sussex lads putting into practice some of the lessons learned.

They mounted two strong drives one of them almost producing an elusive but deserved touchdown. The drive began on the Sussex 20-yard line and strong running by the ground attack moved the ball 60 yards to the Bath 20.  A catch and go by Serge Abdelkader saw the wideout just step out of bounds at the 10 yard line but tenacious Killer Bees tackling stopped any further progress and the game wound up at 20-0.

Despite the loss Thunder head coach Rich Worsell was not completely disappointed.  The fourth quarter fight-back, although without the reward of a score, demonstrated good character and a heartening tightening up of performance.

Highlight performances came from Abdelkader, Linebacker Scott Roberts and Running Back Jon Houston.

Coach Worsell is confident that weaknesses can be ironed out before Thunder make their first home appearance in Brighton for over two years on 17th November.

The game will take place at their new home base, Brighton Rugby Club, Waterhall, Mill Road, Brighton against new team Nene Valley Hybrids.  Kick-off is 1pm.

Details and information about Sussex Thunder can be found on www.sussex-thunder.co.uk or by telephoning Secretary Gary Whitfield on 01 273 596060 or Chairman Tony Miller on 01 273 382925.


The gales were blowing on Sunday and there was plenty of Thunder activity at Essex University when Sussex's own gridiron team demolished the Essex Blades 48-0 in an off-season friendly.

Action from the Essex v Sussex Thunder game

The result did little for the confidence of the Blades who meet surrey stingers next.  But for Thunder it was a tremendous result and paid back in full the handfull of guys who kept the Thunder dream alive following the loss of their home ground just before the start of the 2001 season.

Gary Whitfield, Tony Miller, Dave Murray, Karl Filmer Sankey and James Ayrey gathered together a few hopefuls at the end of last year and it grew from there.  But this new-look Sussex Thunder surpassed the hopes of them all with a tremendous team effort marking their return to competitive play.

The defense was awesome as they denied the Essex Offense any first Downs on the day and scored a Safety as the D chased the Blades' punter through the back of his endzone.

The offense was also in great form and with the weather affecting the passing game it was the ground attack that did most of the damage, although Serge Abdelkader caught a two-point conversion.

Karl Filmer-Sankey had a brace of touchdowns as the ground attack rolled forward relelntlessly.

Scott Roberts had a Quarterback sack and two forced fumbles to his credit as part of the splendid defensive performance.

Thunder go back on the road next Sunday and face a tougher test.  The opposition is again from the British Collegiate American Football League (BCAFL) but this time they meet Bath Killer Bees who had a 50/50 record in the Western division last season.

But Head Coach Richard Worsell and his staff are confident that Thunder can again come back with the win.

28th October 2002 – BCAFL Week 1 review

The following report is courtesy of the BCAFL. 

The battle for BCAFL supremacy began once again on Sunday with the opening matches of the 2002/2003 season, set against a backdrop of gale 
force winds and driving rain.  Two games were postponed, as Stirling Clansmen v UCH Sharks and Cardiff Cobras v Tarranauu Aberystwyth fell foul 
to the adverse weather conditions. 

Severe weather warnings around the South East and gales of up to 90mph meant that Hertfordshire Hurricanes v PA Surrey Stingers was 
never going to be much of a passing game.  The 1st quarter was dominated by the Hurricanes with a solid defence keeping the Stingers three 
and out each series.  A wild punt snap went over the head of the Surrey punter and out the back of the Endzone to give Herts and 2-point lead.  
Herts followed up, taking their chance when HB Neil White ran in for 40 yards.  The PAT kick didn't go according to plan but Junior Price used his 
initiative and ran it in for 2 points, giving the Hurricanes a 10 point lead at the end of the 1st quarter. 

The 2nd quarter started well for Herts with a 26 yard bootleg run from QB Junior Price but the wind rendered Rob Kelly's PAT kick unsuccessful.  
Surrey showed signs of a comeback and after a long drive, FB Dave Tobin ran in from 2 yards.  HB Scott Goddard added the extra 2-point conversion.  The half ended with the Hurricanes leading 16-8. 

The second half saw the Stingers firing on all cylinders and pushing hard.  However, the Hurricanes defence held strong and kept them back.  
At the end of a bruising encounter and a tense 4th quarter, the score stood as it did at half time, Hurricanes taking the win 16-8. 

High winds and sweeping rain were the order of the day as Leeds Celtics travelled to the Sheffield Sabres.  The passing game was largely 
non-existent in the first half, aside from the HB Screens that provided good early field position for Leeds.  A stalwart Sabres defence kept the 
Celtics offence from scoring early leaving it to the Celtics defence to step up to the plate and that they did. Unable to punt due to high winds, 
Sheffield found themselves 4th and long deep in their own territory.  The Leeds offence found its feet as Daniel Delvecchio broke through the 
Sheffield line, forcing a tackle in the Endzone, racking up a 2-point lead in the 1st quarter.  With Sheffield disheartened, the lead increased following 
a quick returning drive and a touchdown run by FB Dan Prewitt through the heart of the defence. 

Despite good running by RB Dave Leslie, Sheffield found it difficult to triumph over the conditions, and their much anticipated running game didn't really get chance to surface in the first half.  A further Leeds score and a 2-point conversion (both run in by QB Tom Lockard) left Sheffield trailing 16-0 at half time. 

A slight drop in the wind during the second half allowed for Sheffield QB Paul Musker to show off his arm, notably with a long completion to WR Tom Beaumont.  However, despite a strong effort from a hard working defence, Sheffield failed to notch up the points and Leeds sealed the win in the 4th quarter as DT Rob Taylor recorded the second safety of the game. 

In our final game, the reformed Sunderland Kings travelled to the recently renamed Newcastle Raiders.  Scoring was opened after three minutes when Raiders rookie Rod Petrie ran in a 55 yard punt return for his first, but surely not his last touchdown.  The Raiders defence looked very strong, standing up to the pressure of Sunderland's persistent drives up the middle.  Defensive Ends Chris Bland and rookie Charlie Heathcote turned in two outstanding performances, combining for a plethora of sacks, including two safeties. 

Sunderland refused to give up and showed great spirit throughout the game, playing iron man in virtually all positions on offence and defence in very difficult and tiring weather conditions. 

A strong Raiders offence, led by new quarterback Eian Lynch piled on the pressure and the points accumulated, the game ending with a 71-0 
win for the Newcastle Raiders. 

So, that's the opening week of the 2002/2003 season done and dusted, with Herts, Surrey and Newcastle all off to a winning start.  Hopefully, 
the weather will be kinder this weekend for our week 2 games which will include: Bristol Bullets v Southampton Stags, Glasgow Tigers v UT 
Cougars and Leicester Lightning v Loughborough Aces.

If you would like any information about the teams featured, other teams in the league or the league itself, check out the BCAFL website: www.bcafl.org

12th September 2002 - GB Bulldogs US Tour results

In the first game of their US tour, the GB Bulldogs University team narrowly lost 27-16 to Lakeland College. In their second game they fell to a 34-9 defeat against Carthage College.

16th August 2002 - Southampton Stags gain extra sponsorship

The Stags who are currently backed by Subway Southampton have secured backing from two more local businesses.  RFC recruiting have agreed to back the Stags for the upcoming season.  The deal organised between company directors Clive Oldridge and Reggie Campbell provides a boost for the team who are planning to expand their recruiting campaign.  Also girls from night club FYEO have agreed to do a calendar for the team, to help raise funds for the club and charity NSPCC.  The team who were waxed for charity by the girls for Southampton Institute rag week, would like to thank Dominic Tonutti for his help. Subway have also agreed to sponsor the Stags cheerleading squad the Vixens for the upcoming season.  Southampton soccer Premiership side the Saints, have also expressed a strong interest in having the girls entertain at half time of their games.  The side are also in talks national mapping organisation Ordnance Survey for further backing.

Players Angus Mckechnie, Andrew Pickard and Dave Harris took part in a recent 200ft abseil off HSBC building Norwich House.  The trio descended down the building in full kit and raised £160 for the HSBC fund raising effort.

The Stags coaches have been working alongside division one side the Southern Sundevils in developing knowledge and experience.  The Sundevils have been practising on the Stags ground.  The Sundevils are the club where Claymores/Buccaneers kicker Rob Hart first started playing the game.  Both clubs have been building stronger links and more news can be expected on this development soon.  A Sundevil’s guest team has also been in action against the GB Bulldogs student side.

Two members of Subway backed BCAFL unit the Southampton Stags have made the national student side the Bulldogs.  Owen Thomas the Stags captain and defensive end has claimed a spot on the D-line.  Nick Michael has made the squad at linebacker, but has already represented GB and the club in the Southern Allstars.  Both players were also recognised in the club awards.  Also Tom Mckenzie and Andrew Wood have been in practice with the GB youth, with Tom playing in the recent European tournament. 

Also recognised have been players old and new who have made an outstanding contribution to the club throughout the year.  Running back Gareth Dauley followed up his colours success with being awarded the clubs offensive rookie and offensive player of the year.  The defensive player of the year was split between Owen Thomas and Vassilli Fedotov so the two defensive lineman shared the honour.  Corner back and return specialist Andy Stevens received the clubs defensive rookie of the year award. 

Next years president Nick Morrison-Smith received most improved player of the year award, for his performances and good attitude at safety.  Lineman of the year and Player’s player went to Vassilli Fedotov.  The hard charging Russian was known not only for his play, but also his gym ethic and dry sense of humour. 

Nick Michael received coaches player of the year award for his play at fullback and linebacker.  He received the award for being the player the coaches felt they could rely on most come game time.

Three players were also recognised for their contribution to the club.  Nick Michael has not only built a good CV of achievements while at university, but also represented the club as president and on the athletic union committee.  Luke Foster last season’s president has made the Southern Allstars for two years running.  Luke was also instrumental in working with Subway manager Casey Baldwin in getting the sponsorship deal with the Subway Southampton.  Also recognised is Lineman Mike Popham, the PHD student has been with the club the past six years and has proven versatile playing for the club at a number of positions.

Also recognised though were the Stags cheerleaders, the Vixens for their efforts in supporting the club.  Sarah Park often known as Vixen #1 has helped build a growing squad and has been recognised for her efforts.  New girl Kelly Stephens is being awarded as cheerleader of the year for her effort in supporting the club on and off the field.

Anybody interested in American Football in the south can contact Angus Mckechnie on: 07719202810 or email:stagsfootball@hotmail.com

Article and photos courtesy of the Southampton Stags

16th August 2002 – GB Bulldogs Tour Information

The GB Universities Bulldogs fly to Chicago from Birmingham on 4th September, and will play games against Lakeland College (7th Sept) and Carthage College (10th Sept). They will attend as guests the Wisconsin Badgers vs Northern Illinois college game on 14th September also.

A Ukrainian national squad fresh from victories over a USA "American Eagles" touring side have offered the Bulldogs a second warm-up game at Solihull's Norman Green Stadium Saturday 24th August, kick-off 1.00 pm. For more information call Peter Biddulph on 0121 453 3203

16th August 2002 - GB Bulldogs 25-6 Southern Allstars

The Southern Allstars took on the GB Universities Bulldogs at Solihull's Norman Green stadium Sunday, and fell to a 25-6 defeat. The Bulldogs, preparing for their US tour in September, took the lead on the second play of the game as Sheffield Sabres QB Damian Marshall hit Oxford tight end John Barclay for a 60-yard touchdown. Oxford's Ollie North then picked off the Allstars QB Baynham, setting up a 14-yard touchdown reception by Cardiff University WR Thomas Longworth.

Southern, with guest players from Bristol, Southampton and South Wales, threatened with strong running by tailback Barry Martin, but a second interception by Ollie North for a 45 yard TD, converted by Staffordshire Stallions Adam O'Keefe made it 19-0 at half-time.

Southern opened the third quarter with a 50-yard Baynham hook-up to WR Leo Lyndsey who was tackled on the Bulldogs 1-yard line. From there, Baynham swung an inch perfect pass to Simon Cutts to break a shutout. The Bulldog's reply came quickly from the Staffordshire duo of Ben Shepherd and Paul Summers. Shepherd blocked a Southern punt, and Summers picked off the bouncing ball to run it home from the 45-yard line. From there Bulldogs were content to run down the clock.

14th May 2002 - Calling old Bullets

If you are an ex-player, cheerleader, coach etc for the Bristol Bullets Paul Dolan is looking into organising a Bullets Old Boys Game to celebrate the Bullets 10 year anniversary. You can contact Paul at bulletsalumni@hotmail.com

25th March 2002 - College Bowl result

Loughborough Aces 39-22 Oxford Cavaliers

11th March 2002 - BCAFL Conference Finals

Northern Conference - UCH Sharks 13-38 Loughborough Aces
Southern Conference - Hertfordshire Hurricanes 9-14 Oxford Cavaliers

4th March 2002 - BCAFL Divisional Playoff results

PA Surrey Stingers 27-34 Hertfordshire Hurricanes
David Chorley Bullets 0-16 Oxford Cavaliers
Loughborough Aces 40-0 Glasgow Tigers
Hull Sharks 13-0 Stirling Clansmen

A repeat of last season's College Bowl is on the cards, as the Oxford Cavaliers turned over the unbeaten David Chorley Bullets 16-0 earlier today. The runner-up last season, Loughborough Aces, turned on the style to thrash the Glasgow Tigers 40-0. The Hull Sharks defeated Stirling Clansmen 13-0 to meet the Aces in the Northern final. The Southern Conference final will be between the Cavaliers and the Hertfordshire Hurricanes, who defeated the PA Surrey Stingers in the cracking match-up. The Hurricanes led 21-14 at the half, and increased their lead to 14 points at the start of the third quarter. Surrey responded to make the score 28-21, but Hertfordshire extended their lead to 34-21. Surrey responded with an unconverted TD late in the fourth to make it to 34-27.

3rd March 2002 - Exiles and Falcons Join Forces Again

The UKC Falcons and the Kent Exiles joined forces once again on Sunday to aid the Exiles in their preparations for the upcoming season.
Following the Exiles travelling to Canterbury last October to help the Falcons in their preparations, the Falcons repaid the compliment following the conclusion of their season by again hosting a controlled scrimmage between the two teams. "It was great to scrimmage with the Falcons again on Sunday", commented Exiles defensive coach Ted Smith, "It gave us a great opportunity to test our playbook against another team, and see exactly where we were in preparing for the season." Both teams ran 50 offensive plays, and around 20 special teams plays, in order to fully test the whole schematics of the Exiles playbook. "The Falcons were terrific on Sunday", commented Exiles line coach Phil Wood, "they played with great intensity and respect, and it was a great learning session for us all at the Exiles, it certainly gave us some areas to work on, including dealing with adverse weather conditions! It was also great to see the improvements the Falcons had made during their season, they had come on in leaps and bounds since October. I'm sure their good work will carry on into next year as well".
Both teams are committed to carrying on the good relationships into next year, and the future. The Exiles can be contacted atkent.exiles@btinternet.com or by calling Dave on 01689 831207 or Martin on 07944 730634 if you would like to join the team for the upcoming season. Players from the age of seven and over are welcome, as the Exiles now run youth teams as well as the senior squad, and players
of all abilities will be made welcome.

1st March 2002 - BCAFL Wild-Card results

Oxford Cavaliers 16-0 Southampton Stags
Birmingham Lions 6-12 Hertfordshire Hurricanes
Glasgow Tigers 28-6 Staffordshire Stallions
Stirling Clansmen 18-13 Sheffield Sabres

22nd February 2002 - BCAFL Playoffs

The BCAFL season reaches the playoffs this weekend, with four first round ties. The Sheffield Sabres and the Staffordshire Stallions both travel north to take on Scottish opposition. The Sabres take on the Glasgow Tigers, and the Stallions take on the Stirling Clansmen.

In the South, Hertfordshire Hurricanes and Birmingham Lions meet for the second successive week. In the final week of the regular season, the Hurricanes won 18-8 at home. This one, however, is being played at Birmingham. In the other Southern Conference playoff game, the Southampton Stags travel to take on the defending champion Oxford Cavaliers.

In the Northern Conference, the Loughborough Aces and the Hull Sharks have already qualified for the second round, and in the South, the Stingers and the Bullets are already through.

22nd February 2002 - BCAFL Week 12 results

Lancaster Bombers 14-20 Stirling Clansmen (OT)
Glasgow Tigers 24-9 UT Cougars 
Hertfordshire Hurricanes 18-8 Birmingham Lions
Oxford Cavaliers 35-14 Cardiff Cobras
David Chorley Bullets 28-6 Plymouth Blitz
Derby Braves 0-12 Nottingham Outlaws
Staffordshire Stallions 6-6 Leicester Lemmings
Sheffield Sabres 37-6 Newcastle Mariners
PA Surrey Stingers 34-16 UEA Pirates

PA Surrey Stingers clinched home advantage throughout the playoffs and the No.1 Southern Conference ranking with a comprehensive 34-16 home victory against the UEA Pirates. David Chorley Bullets kept up their unbeaten run and a second seeding with a 28-6 win against the Plymouth Blitz.


The David Chorley International sponsored Bristol Bullets played host to BCAFL “new boys” the Plymouth Blitz in the return leg of their previous encounter earlier this month. The Bullets were playing to keep their unbeaten season and for a bye week through the first round of the playoffs. Plymouth had a .500 season in their sights and the scene was set to be as hard a hitting battle as the earlier Bullets 16-6 victory.

Plymouth won the toss and elected to receive the ball but it was going to be a tough day for their offence because the Bullets defence was out to prove their worth, in the absence of Defensive guru Blair Dent. The Bullets defence didn’t allow a Plymouth first down for the whole of the first half, strong pressure from the Bullets front five stuffed Plymouth’s running game and hurried Plymouth’s passing game.

The Bullets offence was on fine form. The power running of, Italian International, Alessandro Angeloni dominated the first half, running in scores from 9 yards and 13yds and adding a two point conversion on his way to 141 yards from 20 carries for the day.

The David Chorley Bullets came out firing on all cylinders, on both sides of the ball, in the second half. Defensive Linemen Pragnell, Taylor, Obileye and Mohammed continued to hamper the Blitz’s offence, whilst the Bullets offence continued to gain yards behind their make shift Offensive Line.

Midway through the third quarter Nigerian running back and NFLe trialist Kenny Saro ran behind the impressive blocking of Irish International Charlie Wilson all the way to the endzone from 36 yards out. Italian rushing sensation Angeloni added another two on the conversion, again behind Wilson, to take his tally to 16 points for the day.
The Bullets finally gave up a first down to the Blitz midway through the fourth quarter when Blitz running back Andy Woo broke free to set Plymouth up 3 yards out from the Bullets endzone. Woo ran in untouched for a consolation score against the playoff bound Bullets. Bullets’ interception machine Ben Tolley picked off the ensuing conversion.

The Bullets weren’t finished yet and late in the fourth Saro added another touchdown from 11 yards out, taking his stats to 10-115-2TD.

Plymouth fought to the death but there was no way back so late in the game, from such a heavy deficit. The Bullets defence had held the Blitz to 39 yards of total offence compared to the Bullets offence of over 300 yards, lead by Great Britain Bulldogs’ Lee Richards finishing the day with 10 tackles and a fumble recovery.

The South Western Division Champions, the DCI Bullets, capped off a record breaking regular season with a convincing win over the ever-improving Blitz. The Bullets will look to regroup and adjust in next weekend’s bye week before they face their first ever playoff game on March 3rd.

Offensive MVP: Alessandro Angeloni FB & Kenny Saro TB
Defensive MVP: Lee Richards ILB
Special Teams MVP: Jeff Shipe PR 

10th February 2002 - BCAFL Week 11 results

UKC Falcons 24-0 Essex Blades
Hertfordshire Hurricanes 6-14 UEA Pirates
PA Surrey Stingers 29-0 Warwick Wolves
David Chorley Bullets 22-18 Bath Killer Bees
Southampton Stags 18-6 Cardiff Cobras
Plymouth Blitz 22-8 Reading Knights
Nottingham Outlaws 0-14 Birmingham Lions
Tarannau Aberystwyth 8-22 Oxford Cavaliers
Sheffield Sabres 14-0 Lancaster Bombers
Strathclyde Hawks 8-28 Stirling Clansmen
UT Cougars 12-14 UCH Sharks
Leeds Celtics P-P Newcastle Mariners
Staffordshire Stallions 28-0 Derby Braves
Leicester Lemmings 7-12 Loughborough Aces

David Chorley Bullets and PA Surrey Stingers both maintained their unbeaten records for the season with victories in week 11 of the BCAFL. With just one week of regular season action to go, the Bullets, Stingers, Loughborough Aces and UCH Sharks have all clinched divisional titles.


The David Chorley Bullets made the short trip to take on bitter rivals the Bath Killer Bees in their local “derby” match. Bristol were fighting for their treasured unbeaten status and Bath needed a win, to stay in the playoff hunt. If the game was going to be anything like last years 21-19 thriller, the spectators were in for a treat.

The Killer Bees won the toss and elected to kick off. The Bullets had problems moving the ball on their first offensive series and were forced to punt. A deep punt by Bullets’ American Jeff Shipe looked to have given the Bullets defence good field position, but Bath’s versatile all rounder Matt Carter returned the ball deep into Bullets territory, on the shortened field.

It didn’t take long for Bath to punch the ball into the endzone for the opening score of the day. The Killer Bees’ newly recruited American QB, Jeff Vinall, in his football comeback after 13 years away from the sport, ran the ball in on a 4yd QB bootleg. The Bullets defence held strong and kept out the two point attempt.

Bath kicked off and the Bullets offence again failed to move the ball with any conviction. Bath took possession of the ball deep in their own territory and started to move the ball well in the air. Vinall connected with wideout Farnell-Watson on a series of quick slants and looked to be settling in the pocket until Bullets safety Ben Tolley intercepted a wayward pass, giving the Bullets the ball back in Killer Bees territory.

The Bullets offence were beginning to find their form, led by a flu-ridden Wildcats QB Chris Speed. Speed connected with Italian International Alessandro Angeloni on a 19 yard screen pass. Some fantastic blocks from 6th year Center Alex Taylor, Irish International Charlie Wilson and American Michael Jackson took Angeloni all the way to the endzone for the David Chorley Bullets first points of the day. QB Chris Speed connected with Tight End Charlie Saker to add the two and give the Bullets the early lead.

The Bullets had found the confidence they needed and the Bullets defence shut down the Killer Bees offence both in the air and on the ground. The Bullets offence paid homage to the hard work of the D, when after converted cornerback Tunde “Primetime” Adepoju scampered into the endzone from 3 yards out. Quarterback Chris Speed connected with rookie wideout Blake Evans for the 2 point conversion and a 16-6 halftime lead.

It was Bath who came out the stronger in the second half. Bristol elected to take the ball, but NFLe trialist John Hartley fumbled the return deep in Bullets territory. Bath didn’t hesitate to bring the game back within reach when tailback Nick Smith ran into the endzone to make it a 4 point game. The Bullets defence again kept out the Killer Bees 2 point conversion attempt.

Strong winds, the shortened pitch, a new Bullets QB and a bad bout of fumblitis meant the third and most of the fourth quarter was all about Bath. The Bullets fumbled 8 times, losing 5 of them to the Killer Bees defence. It looked as though the Bullets perfect season had come to an end when the Killer Bees offence constructed a long drive deep into Bullets territory. Vinall then fired a 6 yard pass to Tight End Steve Ward to give the Killer Bees a two point 18-16 lead and what looked like the win. The Bullets D again kept out the two point conversion.

But the Bullets weren’t about to give up all they had fought for this season. The game, their perfect season and pride were all on the line with only three and a half minutes left on the clock. Chris Speed was by now back under center defending his 9-1-1 starting record. He fought off flu, for one final push to guide the Bullets the length of the field. With just over a minute left in the game the Bullets were 29 yards away from the Bees endzone and victory. Great play-calling from the Bullets coaching staff saw Alessandro Angeloni take a pitch on a fake sweep option pass. After struggling to find the laces, and under pressure from four Bath defensive players, Angeloni just got the pass away to a wide open Jeff Shipe. But the American was dragged down by the Bath defence just inches away from the endzone. The Bullets stood inches from victory with only a minute left on the clock, when NFLe trialist Kenny Saro ran behind great blocking from Bulldog DT Lee Richards, in for the injured Kostas Kitsios, for the game winning touchdown. The 2 point conversion failed but the Bullets had the lead and what looked to be the win.

With 56 seconds left on the clock the Bath Killer Bees got the ball back, and a shot at winning the game. Killer Bees’ American QB Vinall again drove the Killer Bees deep into Bullet territory. Along the way Vinall found the versatile Matt Carter on a deep pass into 5 man coverage to set the Killer Bees up just outside the Bullets endzone.

Bath trigger man Vinall fired a pass into the endzone into the hands of GB Bulldog Matt Carter. But all rounder Jeff Shipe, who had set up the Bullets game winning touchdown, hit Carter just as he was bringing in the pass, the ball popped out of Carter’s hands into the arms of Bullets safety Ben Tolley, for a touchback, and an emotional Bullets victory.

David Chorley Bullets’ QB Chris Speed knelt on the ball to run out the clock. The Bullets keep their unbeaten status, secure the BCAFL South West Division Title and look to clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs next week against the Plymouth Blitz.

4th February 2002 - BCAFL Week 10 results

Essex Blades P-P Hertfordshire Hurricanes
PA Surrey Stingers 27-6 UKC Falcons
Southampton Stags 14-0 Bath Killer Bees
Plymouth Blitz 6-14 David Chorley Bullets
Cardiff Cobras 0-1 Tarannau Aberystwyth
Warwick Wolves P-P Reading Knights
Leeds Celtics 12-21 UCH Sharks
Nottingham Outlaws 7-20 Sheffield Sabres
UT Cougars 0-41 Loughborough Aces
Leicester Lemmings 15-12 Derby Braves OT
Birmingham Lions P-P Oxford Cavaliers

2nd February 2002 - GB Bulldogs 2002 details

The GB Bulldogs have lined up a number of games, including a tour of the USA, for their 2002 season. Their proposed games are against a BCAFL Old Boys team, Nordic Thunder from Denmark and then games against Lakeland College and Carthage College in the USA in September.

The GB Bulldogs team trial will be held on Saturday 11th May 2002

For a full report on the GB Bulldogs click here to visit the official BCAFL website.

31st January 2002 - BCAFL Week 9 results

Essex Blades 0-12 UKC Falcons
Tarannau Aberystwyth 40-0 Warwick Wolves
UCH Sharks 19-12 Birmingham Lions
Reading Knights 8-43 Oxford Cavaliers
Leeds Celtics 8-22 Lancaster Bombers
Glasgow Tigers 20-6 Strathclyde Hawks
UT Cougars 0-8 Leicester Lemmings

All other games postponed.

27th January 2002 - Strathclyde Sheriffs and Glasgow Tigers merge

The Strathclyde Sheriffs have merged with the Glasgow Tigers University side. As a result the Sheriffs will play in the B.S.L. Division two under the name of the Glasgow Tigers.

22nd January 2002 - BCAFL Week 8 results

Birmingham Lions 8-6 Oxford Cavaliers
Plymouth Blitz 16-6 Warwick Wolves
Lancaster Bombers 8-22 Glasgow Tigers

5th January 2002 - Calling all BCAFL Old boys

As you may be aware 2 years ago a rather unique team of individuals was put together at speed consisting of ex BCAFL players to play the Bulldogs squad. Due to the games incredible success it has been decided that the oldboys team should be an established team. With this in mind we are calling out for any ex college players who would be interested in putting on the shoulder pads and helmet again to play the Bulldogs to get in touch. As some people may have heard the team has already received its name, that being 'The Dinosaurs' or 'BSAFA Allstars' for those of you who prefer a more formal team name.

The proposed date of the team's game against the Bulldogs is at present 10th August 2002, venue to be confirmed.

The intention of the team is such that it will be used as a method of helping to support the Bulldogs programme through a subscription. Each player will have an option to purchase a team jersey, team colours to be black and silver. Details of costs will be confirmed at a later date by either myself or Rich Handby.

So for those of you who are interested please get in touch so that we can make this years game real event and a showpiece for BCAFL as a whole.

James Hathway, BSAFA Dinosaurs Head Coach

© BritballNow 2014