2003 Adult flag news

5th December 2003 - Beach Bowl III

Beach Bowl III takes place at Stoneham Lane, Eastleigh on Sunday 14th December, which will see the largest ever gathering of senior flag sides in England in NFL 5-on-5

The Beach Bowl started in Bournemouth in 2001, which saw the Southern Sundevils win 20-6 against the Bournemouth Raiders in the final. In 2002, the tournament moved to Southampton, and again the Sundevils won the title. They will be going for the hat-trick this time, but will come up against formidable opposition in:

The Knights
Bournemouth Raiders
Bournemouth Deckchairs
North Devon Dogs
Leicester Eagles
Team WD
Team Extreme
Derby Dream Team
Birmingham Raiders
Sussex Thunder
The Stags

Beach Bowl championship results

2002 Sundevils B 18-0 Sundevils A
2001 Sundevils 22-6 Bournemouth Raiders

5th December 2003 - BSFL players fly out to New England

The BSFL has a number of players flying out to New England to take part in a World Cup qualifying tournament. The players from Chichester Sharks, Team Extreme, Derby Dream Team and the Bournemouth Raiders will play in minus 10 temperatures in Plymouth, Mass.

5th December 2003 - North v South Allstar game

The BSFL have announced they will be hosting a North of England v South of England Allstar 9-on-9 game in Oxford in March. The North will be made up of players from BSFL sides, Derby Dream Team, Team Extreme, Leicester Eagles, Fen Harriers and Birmingham Raiders. The South will be made of of players from The Knights, Bournemouth Raiders, Chichester Sharks and the North Devon Dogs. For more details visit www.seniorflag.co.uk

5th December 2003 - England v Ireland international

The BSFL will be sending an England international side to Ireland in May 2004, in the first meeting between the countries since 2000, when Ireland triumphed.

21st September 2003 - Senior flag European championship results

Austria has won the European Flag Championships Seniors in all categories. 


Group games: 

DAN vs. SWE 46:39 
DAN vs. SWZ 14:21 
AUT vs. SWZ 40:00 
GER vs. SWZ 26:08 
GER vs. AUT 00:21 
SWE vs. GER 00:13 
SWE vs. SWZ 31:14 
DAN vs. GER 06:26 
SWE vs. AUT 12:26 
DAN vs. AUT 33:27 

Bronze Medal Game: DAN vs. SWE 21:20 
Final Game: AUT vs. GER 32:06 

1. Austria 
2. Germany 
3. Denmark 
4. Schweden 
5. Switzerland 

Eliminated: France (no show due to transportation problem) 
Withdrawn: Italy 

7 vs 7 

Group Games: 

AUT vs. SWE 46:14 
SWE vs. GER 06:28 
GER vs. AUT 26:20 

Final: AUT vs. GER 19:12 

1. Austria 
2. Germany 
3. Sweden

30th September 2003 - Bournemouth Raiders/Chichester Sharks share the Autumn Bowl title

The Bournemouth Raiders returned to BSFL action with a bang on Sunday as they tied with the the Chichester Sharks in the Autumn Bowl. With their unorthadox offense of 2 QB's in at the same time (Matt Heasman and Brad Smith both threw 5 TD's each on the day) they won won 3 out of 3 group games, and then defeated the Kent Exiles 23-12 in the semi-finals. The final was tied 6-6 with the host team, Chichester Sharks. In fading light, it was agreed to share the title.

The Bournemouth Raiders squad who emerged unbeaten from the day's play

Sussex Thunder's squad for the Autumn Bowl

North Devon Dogs score on a spectacular reception v Chichester

A moment of agony for the North Devon Dogs receiver Jonny Stevenson as he dislocates his shoulder when tripping over against Chichester

Kent Exiles (black) in action against the North Devon Dogs

Chichester were unbeaten on the day too and have extended their lead in the BSFL 5-on-5 league standings. Click here to see the current table

Special mention to Team Extreme and North Devon Dogs who travelled a fair distance to take part. The Dogs especially who had their fair share of injuries on the day.

Group A results

Team Extreme 0-26 Bournemouth Raiders
Sussex Thunder 20-21 PA Knights
Team Extreme 25-18 Sussex Thunder
Bournemouth Raiders 19-12 PA Knights
Team Extreme 0-33 PA Knights
Bournemouth Raiders 27-6 Sussex Thunder

Group B results

Chichester Sharks 19-12 North Devon Dogs
North Devon Dogs 13-16 Kent Exiles
Chichester Sharks 33-6 Kent Exiles


Bournemouth Raiders 23-12 Kent Exiles
Chichester Sharks 20-6 PA Knights


Chichester Sharks 6-6 Bournemouth Raiders

15th September 2003 - BSFL 9-man championship 2nd leg

The Eagles and the Harriers met for the 2nd leg of the BSFL Championship Game  / the Harrier Challenge Cup at Coldham Common, Cambridge on Sunday, 14th September.  The Harriers held a 1 – 0 advantage having beaten the Eagles in Leicester 26 – 6 in the first leg. 

Leicester Eagles BSFL 9-man champions

Defenses dominated the early exchanges and there was no score until a Rich Manning sack forced the Harriers to punt.  Eagle Jeff Brown fielded the punt at the half way line and out-raced the Harrier defense to score and give the Eagles a 6 – 0 lead.  On their next drive, the Harriers were intercepted by Eagles safety James Hossack.  The Eagles quickly took advantage of the turn-over with QB John Pimperton finding Hossack in the end-zone, with Ryan Melbourne kicked the extra point the Eagles were ahead 13 – 0.  The Harriers suffered a further set back when Eagles linebacker James Pimperton picked off the ball, setting up Hossack to score his second TD of the game when he caught a Craig Broughton pass in the end-zone. Half-time saw the Eagles ahead, 19 – 00. 

The Eagles started with the ball in the second half and moved down the field.  However, the Harrier defense held firm and the Eagles had to settle for a Ryan Melbourne field goal and a 22 – 00 lead.  This time the Harriers offense got going and Martin Browne found Clive Yap-Young in the middle of the end zone for a Harrier touchdown.  The Harriers defense stopped the Eagles on their next drive but Hossack stopped the Harriers offense by collecting his second interception and returning it for a score – his third TD of the game.  Melbourne kicked the extra point and the Eagles were ahead 29 – 06. Melbourne completed the Eagles scoring when he took the ball into the end zone and the Eagles ran out 35 – 06 winners.

With the series tied at a game a piece, the Eagles edged the Harriers 41  - 32 in points scored.

22nd August 2003 - Harriers take the upper hand in BSFL 9-on-9 championship

A re-surgent Harriers side blew away the current BSFL champions, the Leicester Eagles, at Belgrave Rugby club in Leicester. The first half was dominated by the defenses as both sides struggled to move the ball.  Fen took the lead in the first quarter when QB Martin Brown lofted a perfectly timed pass to Lawrence Tallon in right hand corner of the endzone to give the Harriers a 6 - 0 lead.  The Eagles offense failed to move the ball and only an endzone interception of a Brown pass by Eagles DB Tom Gill prevented the Harriers extending their lead.  Eagles LB Alistair Coulthurst also had an interception as the half ended. 

The Harriers defense then turned up the pressure, first sacking and then intercepting Eagles QB John Pimperton.  On their ensuing possession Tallon scored his second touchdown of the day, breaking a number of tackles as he ran in from 60 yards.  The Harriers now had a 12 – 0 lead.  They stopped the Eagles drive with another interception and Greg Enright ran the ball through the middle of the Eagles defense to give the Harriers an 18 point cushion.  Shane Frost caught the 2pt conversion pass from Brown to put Fen further ahead, 20 – 0. 

The Eagles’ offense finally started to move the ball when, on a bizarre play, a Pimperton pass popped out of the receivers hands and was intercepted by Greg Enright who returned it for his second score of the day.   

With the Harriers up 26 – 0, the Eagles finally scored a consolation TD when QB Pimperton hooked up with WR Jeff Brown.  Final score Eagles 6 Harriers 26. The 2nd leg is scheduled for September 14th in Cambridge.

13th July 2003 - Eagles win in Ireland

The Leicester Eagles triumphed 12-6 in Ireland over the Drimnagh Cycos. For the Eagles, John Pimperton scored on a QB scramble & Ryan Melbourne scored on a sweep. The final play of the game was a Cycos incomplete pass as they were driving for the tying score.

12th July 2003 - 5-on-5 senior flag tournament in Chichester

There is to be a senior flag 5-on-5 tournament in Chichester on Sunday 28th September. All teams will play between 3 and 5 games on the day, and each game will last approximately 25-30mins. All teams must comprise of at least 5 players who must be 16 years old or over.

Any team is welcome to play, and you do not have to be affiliated to the BSFL to compete. If your team is interested in playing, then please mail seniorflag@hotmail.com a.s.a.p. to guarantee entry as spaces are limited.

11th July 2003 - Anglo Irish Challenge Flag game

The Annual Flag American Football Game, "The Anglo Irish Challenge" takes place this Saturday July 12th at the Iveagh grounds in Drimnagh, Dublin, between The Drimnagh Cycos and The Leicester Eagles. 
Kick off is at 2pm. This is the seventh match up between the teams and the record currently stands at 4 wins for the Cycos, 1 win for the Eagles and 1 draw.  The Eagles are current British Champions and are currently second in their division in the British League. The Cycos don't have a league to play in and haven't played a game since January 2003 when they were defeated by a British League Selection 18-12 in Dublin.  Should be interesting!


In an exciting day of action-packed senior flag football, the Chichester Sharks defeated a weary Leicester Eagles side 25-6 to claim the first Annual Independence Day Open at Rumney Rugby Club, Cardiff. Out of nine registered teams, only the Derby Braves, Jail Birds, Chichester Sharks and North Devon Dogs A were left to contend in the semi-finals. Duncan’s Cows, North Devon B, Kent Exiles, and the Gwent Gwieagles were relegated to spectators after the qualifying rounds. However, injuries forced the Jail Birds to withdraw, opening the door for the Eagles, who seized the opportunity by upsetting the number-one seeded Derby squad 21-13. Unfortunately, Leicester were clearly feeling the toll of their upset win over Derby in the semi-finals, as the substitute-rich Sharks were able to score almost at will with a deadly mix of a powerful air attack and an unforgiving defense that held the Eagles to a single TD. Full marks to Duncan’s Cows, who spent as much time at the bar as they did on the pitch and who, for lack of a better phrase, ‘kept it real’. Nice one, lads.


Eagles James Hossack on the charge against North Devon

Chichester Sharks now lead the BSFL 5-on-5 league table, which can be found by clicking here.

Senior Standings After Preliminaries
1 Derby Braves 4-0-0 47 26
2 Jail Birds (withdrawn) 3-0-1 53 47
3 North Devon Dogs A 3-1-0 76 27
4 Chichester Sharks 2-1-1 41 21
5 Leicester Eagles 2-2-0 52 39
6 Kent Exiles 1-0-0 53 47
7 North Devon Dogs B 1-0-0 50 92
8 Gwent Gwieagles 1-0-0 41 70
9 Duncan’s Cows 0-4-0 52 115
Leicester Eagles d. Derby Braves 21-13 
Chichester Sharks d. North Devon Dogs A 21-0


Senior Chichester Sharks d. Leicester Eagles 31-0

9th July 2003 - Knights conquer Horsham in CH ‘Summer Bowl’ 

A 5-on-5 non-contact Flag Football tournament was held at Christ’s Hospital, an independent boarding school in Horsham, on Saturday 28 June. The school, which welcomes entrants from diverse backgrounds, has already hosted one NFL Europe Flag Football Tournament but last weekend’s event was the first of 2003. Participants were drawn from Sussex and the surrounding area, with the PA Knights and the Sussex Thunder sending sides to compete against the school’s Blue Coats. 

In the first round of matches, the Knights saw off a spirited challenge from the home side, winning 20-12. Rookie Tony Talbot claimed MVP honours for the game with an unequalled two touchdowns, and set the Guildford-based team firmly on its way. The other match of the opening round saw the Thunder Youth pitted against the Thunder Seniors. On this occasion senior-for-the-day Christopher Percival was awarded MVP, snatching the game’s decisive score as the Thunder Seniors narrowly defeated their young counterparts 14-13. 

Rapidly making the transition from full-contact football to flag, the Knights went on to dominate a Thunder Youth side, still smarting from its first-round defeat. Again, Talbot, a former Sussex sprinter, outstripped the defence on his way to two touchdown scores. However, with three interceptions and two touchdown catches of his own, it was the turn of former England Defensive Captain Jay Cashman to earn the MVP plaudits. With an emphatic 40-6 win, the Knights booked their place in the tournament final. Meanwhile, the Blue Coats fell foul of the steadily improving Thunder Seniors. Thunder Strong Safety Dayle Kirby was MVP in an absorbing match that saw the Christ’s Hospital teacher lining up against the Blue Coats team that he has coached since last year. With a 16-12 victory, the Thunder Seniors also progressed to the final of the competition. 

The third place playoff offered the Blue Coats an opportunity for revenge against a Thunder Youth team that had defeated them in two previous competitions. Bolstered by two interceptions by MVP Patrick McFadden, the home side finally recorded its first win of the afternoon, consigning their East Sussex rivals to the bottom of the table. However, both teams left the tournament with pride very much intact, and the exciting prospect of appearing at the London Youth Games, on Saturday 12 July, looming ever larger. 

Connecting for scores with four different receivers, Knights and former England quarterback Ashley Heath led his team to a convincing 28-12 victory in the Summer Bowl final, and seized MVP honours. In customary fashion, Talbot scorched into the endzone for another two scores, one of which was a length-of-the-field interception return. Having handed quarterback duties to Heath, Jaimie Sinfield, Offensive Co-ordinator at the Knights, hauled in his second touchdown catch of the afternoon and converted the score, to put the seal on a sparkling return to competitive play. Steve Peart was no stranger to the endzone either, snaring two Heath passes for spectacular extra point scores. Yet it was the marshalling of the defence by tournament MVP Jay Cashman that finally stifled any resistance from the Thunder, and guaranteed that the Knights left Horsham champions of the first ever Summer Bowl. 

Tournament organiser Dayle Kirby remarked that the afternoon had been an unqualified success. “All of the matches were played in excellent spirit and the Knights deserved to win.” Flag Football returns to Horsham in September when Kirby hopes to host the annual Channel 5 Flag Football Trophy. 


1st Round 

PA Knights v CH Blue Coats    20-12 
Thunder Youth v Thunder Seniors 13-14

2nd Round 

PA Knights v Thunder Youth                40-6 
CH Blue Coats v Thunder Seniors        12-16 

3rd & 4th Playoff: 

CH Blue Coats v Thunder Youth          13-12 


PA Knights v Thunder Seniors          28-12 

28th April 2003 - Leicester Eagles win Easter Bowl I

The Leicester Eagles won the BSFL Easter Bowl on Sunday with a perfect 4-0 record after a gruelling day's play in Birmingham. Leicester and the Chichester Sharks both emerged from their groups unbeaten, but it was the Eagles who won the Championship game with a 16-7 victory.

29th March 2003 - Kirkcaldy Bulls win

The Kirkcaldy Bulls beat off stiff competition from a number of teams, including one put up by the Claymores front office, to win the senior flag tournament last Saturday (March 29).

The tournament was a chance for hardworking coaches and admin staff to enjoy a game of flag football. In total, 45 players were involved in the tournament and made up five teams, it was a glorious day and everyone involved played with good humour. The teams competing were Claymores Front Office, Grangemouth Broncos, Kilmarnock College, Kirkcaldy Bulls and Lanarkshire Steelmen.

James Burns, Scottish Claymores Grassroots Assistant, said: "It was good to finally get some sunshine for a flag tournament. It was a deserved win for Kirkcaldy in an event played in good spirits. However, I was obviously disappointed that the Claymores couldn't take home the trophy. I would also like to mention the Kilmarnock team who played extremely well in their first ever tournament. Finally, I would like to offer my commiserations to the two Stuarts, McKay and Russell, for their wooden spoon performance, if it's true that people learn from their mistakes- they'll be great coaches this year."

Full results below

Round 1:

Lanarkshire Steelmen 07- 39 Kirkcaldy Bulls

Kilmarnock college 18-33 Grangemouth Broncos

Round 2:

Lanarkshire Steelmen 19- 30 Claymores F.O

Kirkcaldy Bulls 14 -07 Grangemouth Broncos

Round 3:

Claymores F.O 21- 19 Kilmarnock college

Lanarkshire Steelmen 0- 27 Grangemouth Broncos

Round 4:

Claymores F.O 13- 14 Grangemouth Broncos

Kirkcaldy Bulls 40 -16 Kilmarnock College

Round 5:

Lanarkshire Steelmen 07- 33 Kilmarnock College


Kirkcaldy Bulls 28 -08 Grangemouth Broncos

26th February 2003 - Team USA win the 4th World Cup of Flag Football

Team USA defeated Mexico 28-7 in the Senior Flag World Cup final in the Bahamas on Sunday. In the semis, Mexico upset Canada 6-0, and the USA squeaked past Israel 18-7. No word yet on Team England's performance.

31st January 2003 - BSFL Allstars travel to Dublin and win

The BSFL Allstars matched up against the Drimnagh Cycos on a cold, windy day in Phoenix Park (Dublin) on Saturday January 25, 2003. The All-Stars arrived in mixed form for this 7 on 7 contact flag match. QB Nick Michael was nursing a serious knee injury and had limited mobility. The BSFL team choose one player from the Cycos to add to their roster of Vincent Gurrea (Bournemouth Raiders), Abdulmalik Lawal (Bournemouth Raiders), Nick Michael (Bournemouth Raiders), Mark Houston (Bournemouth Raiders), Stephen Wigley (Invicta Coyotes), and two retired players, Hash and Kalid.

Playing with the Irish flag football rules, the BSFL team kicked-off the first half. After several successful running plays, the Cycos were stopped by a strong defensive stand around the Allstars 20-yard line. On the first UK possession, QB Michael threw it straight into the hands of number 55 of the Cyocs. Again, the UK defense stepped up and stopped the Irish team from scoring. The All-Stars than marched own the field with successful running plays by Houston and Lawal only to have the efforts thwarted when QB Michael threw a second interception in the endzone. After a run and gun offense down the pitch, QB Aidan Kelly of the Cycos scored the first TD of the match on a five yard run. The point-after attempt was stopped by a lunging tackle by Wigley. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Michael threw a third interception to number CB 53 who returned the ball for a 30 yard TD. The PAT was stopped when Houston flagged the QB on an option play.

Down 12-0, the Allstars replaced Michael at QB with and the team drove
downfield in the final 2 minutes of the first half with strong running by Lawal and Houston. Before the break, Lawal caught a 10 yard pass from Houston to put the All-Stars on the board. The PAT was unsuccessful as an attempted pass to Gurrea was knocked down. Score at half-time Drimnagh Cycos 12, BSFL All-Stars 6.

To start the second half, playmaker Houston called a no huddle offense on the first play with QB Michael back in the huddle and Houston lining up as receiver. While a couple of players on the Irish side looked at Houston, nobody decided to cover him. Michael completed a 75 yard pass to Houston to tie the game. A spoiled PAT pass to Wigley was unsuccessful. The BSFL team's defense dominated the second half and gave little room to the Cycos on running plays, passing plays, options and trick plays. Vincent Gurrea and Stephen Wigley intercepted passes to stop the Irish attack. The BSFL's offense was very conservative with strong running plays up the middle by Houston and outside by Lawal. Lawal broke away on a 40 yard running play to put the BSFL team up 18-12. After a controversial sack in the endzone, where the teams disputed whether it should be a safety or not, the Irish team kept the ball but on their own goalline. Three plays later, Houstonintercepted the ball and returned it 20 yards. The BSFL team could not put the ball in the endzone and the Irish team took over for a final drive. The drive seemed to last forever with the Cycos slowly marching down the field. After 2 unsuccessful attempts in the endzone, the Cycos faced 4th and goal from the 10 yard line.  Aidan Kelly got the ball and rolled out to his right and looked for key receivers #55 and #53 in the endzone, who were closely covered. Kelly circled back and was running to his left where he had an open tight end in the endzone. Just as Kelly was releasing the game tying td pass, Lawal dove to take the flag. The BSFL team won 18-12.

© BritballNow 2014